New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Yahoo does it again...

Joencalif2

Yahoo does it again...

Post  Joencalif2 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:39 pm

I got an email from Yahoo yesterday informing me that back in 2015, and 2016 my account had been hacked via the use of super cookies and some other kind of crap. They apologized me to saying they are trying to remedy the situation. Ya right, thanks, guys....the thing is I don't use yahoo for ANYTHING. I only keep it as a backup email in the event I might need it. I got rid of all my contacts from there a long time ago, and I never shop online using yahoo as my search for anything. They are so hopelessly out of it.... Yahoo sucks...
    munchkin72gloria

Re: Yahoo does it again...

Post  munchkin72gloria on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:14 am

It probably was just a blanket email.
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:04 pm

That doesn't matter really, the fact remains that they have no regard for the people that use it.
    munchkin72gloria

Post  munchkin72gloria on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:29 am

I use it but not as my main email account. I wouldn't want it to be!
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:27 pm

I only use it for backup, but I've switched to outlook for a back up email. gmail is my main account...
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:33 am

I still got MyWay email for my backup... Very Happy
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:59 am

I've got 7 gmail accounts. And if those fail I have a paid account. And if that fails I have another paid account.

If I ever get my act together I'll get rid of one paid account. But I got the second one and never started the migration. Hopefully sometime over the next couple of weeks I can get it working OK on my tablet and phones. Then it will be easy to switch.

I gave up MyWay when we all moved from there. I didn't use it much anyway. I gave up Yahoo the very first time I read that they had problems and didn't tell anybody for more than a year. I only had two accounts attached to that anyway. Both cloud storage. I changed one and gave the other up completely when they reduced how much space was free and removed some of my files, then followed that up with what I considered to be price-gouging for even less space than they originally gave away for free. (I'll leave it to you to figure out which Microsoft company did that.) Not sure if they were holding my missing files for ransom or what. But I didn't care for finding out I only had a few days notice before I couldn't see them any more. Fortunately they weren't anything sensitive and I kept stopping myself just as I was getting ready to delete them from my machine. So I had a backup.

Now I'm working on keeping all of my cloud storage on my own network and accessing it from there. I have rare times I can't get to the files. But I had that with the other brand that I dumped, too.

At one time I ran my own email server. I stopped that because I had to set it all up again every time I reinstalled the machine. With linux I can reinstall as often as I want without using personal files, so I did it a lot. But services like email were more work. I still did it, though, despite it getting to be a little tiring. Then Godaddy started charging too much for domains and I dropped those accounts completely. The email went with it. I never started over with somebody else because it was too much trouble. But now that I only reinstall when I start having big problems, I may take it up again.

For awhile I ran email off of Godaddy. It was $20 a year. It worked great. Then one day they charged me $78 for the next year without warning me. I found it out when I happened to open my credit union account and noticed it looked like my balance was off and looked at the transactions. Guess how long it took me to get rid of it after that.

Godaddy had a scam going, with the same unnamed Microsoft company that screwed my cloud storage up, that made it look like that unnamed Microsoft company had a lot more servers and users than they actually had. Including making it appear that the accounts I had long before that were running on the imaginary servers of the unnamed Microsoft company. I never liked that, but put up with it because I already had some accounts and mail I was using before the Microsoft company that I won't name paid them a lot of money to fake that for them. It felt good to finally clean that off the books. So them raising their prices to unseemly levels turned out to be a positive for me in several ways.
    munchkin72gloria

Post  munchkin72gloria on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:54 am

JJRobinson wrote:I still got MyWay email for my backup... Very Happy
    For real? Very Happy
    I used to post there long time ago.
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:27 pm

MyWay is my favorite for sure - no spam, no ads, always listed as a safe site, only down for maintenance for a short time about once a year or less.

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:27 pm