New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

IRS SCAM PHONE CALLS

Ladyelaine

IRS SCAM PHONE CALLS

Post  Ladyelaine on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Beware of fake collection agencies calling claiming to be collecting for the IRS and threatening dire circumstances if you don't pay them immediately. My answering machine has filtered 2 so far today (caller ID listed # 850-251-4457 - a known scam number, along with an individual's name, obviously not a smart scammer) and I reported them to FCC. I do not owe anyone any money and that includes the IRS.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: IRS SCAM PHONE CALLS

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:03 pm

I got some last year. All went to voice mail.

Maybe I'll answer a couple this year, act scared and give them some phony information. Like an account number that doesn't exist.  Then I'll ask them what my name is and my address so I can listen to them hang up on me.
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:12 pm

Apparently Pablo isn't going to give up on me. My machine just got another attempt from him.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:23 pm

You might pick it up once and answer "IRS Agent (whatever), Badge number (whatever). May I help you?"
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:29 pm

My original post should have read reported to FTC instead of FCC.
    Just got another call from Pablo, persistant pest.

Wouldn't it be a felony to impersonate a federal officer even in answering a phone call?
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Sure. Are you worried a crook who is impersonating an IRS official will report you, though?

The one called me over and over last year gave me his "agent" information (with a perfect Asian accent) in the voicemails he left.
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:56 pm

Let out a blood curdling scream and see if they hang up. LOL
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:42 pm

I got an airhorn for them...I don't think I ever got another call from them after that.... Very Happy
    manson

Post  manson on Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:56 am

I have a cheap Multifunctional digital voice recorder on to which I had a well spoken friend of mine record a couple of messages for scammers and sales people. It also records calls and is an Mp3 player.

I came to the conclusion that if these people are going to keep calling me then, instead of getting annoyed I'd get even.

For scammers I play recording 1. 'Please hold the line while our security service logs your phone and your location details.

For sales I play recording 2.        'Thank you for calling. Your call is important so please stay on the line and I'll be with you shortly. It then plays I'm still waiting by Diana Ross.

The beginning of each message starts with 3 beeps just to add a bit of authenticity.

Haven't had a scam call for nearly a year and a half now. Maybe the scammers have blacklisted my number. Very Happy
    Rarely get sales calls either but it's fun to leave them on hold while they periodicaly call out 'Hello sir are you there?

Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:49 am

They git my answering machine, it dosen't seem to get tired LOL

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:38 am