New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Storm

Ladyelaine

Storm

Post  Ladyelaine on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:49 pm

I moved my sleeping recliner away from the windows yesterday but could not sleep due to the howling winds and pounding rain, both of which stopped abruptly @ 1:30 AM with an eerie silence. Just as abruptly, the wind & rain started up again and I heard a rumbling and a terrifying cracking sound, then loud thuds and a thumping sound of something bumping up against my house. The terrifying sound was one of my oak trees (over a 100 years old) being twisted  and shredded to smithereens. Shutters were ripped off my house, my car is totally covered with a "garage" of oak and pine limbs. A 50 year old cedar tree left for parts unknown. My lawn appears to be a carpet of tree branches with almost no grass visible. One wind gauge registered 83 mph but Emergency Managements official wind gauge was disabled by the wind, so nothing official. Trees were down on I-75, I-10, US 129 & US 41 in White Springs this morning, along with many county roads and city streets. Traffic lights out. Such widespread downed power lines  that people were asked to please not even try to travel anywhere by vehicle until crews can clear the trees, repair and restore power. The good Lord watched over me and kept me safe. In Jesus Christ's name I do give him my thanks.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: Storm

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:17 pm

WOW!

Glad you're OK. Hope you can get that car out and everything cleaned up without too much trouble or expense.
    DJ570

Post  DJ570 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:45 pm

How far are you from Spring Hill Lady...My Daughter and Son In-law are thinking of buying a place down there...They didn't go into contract yet...Did they get hit bad also?  
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:19 pm

DJ - Spring Hill is 145 miles due south of me, along the coastline. They had warnings about torrential rain, high winds and storm surge, and told to watch weather forecasts for evacuation advisories.  Their damage was minor compared to what north Florida big bend area and south Georgia, Valdosta area sustained. A tornado was spotted on radar in the area of Spring Hill but I've not heard any news of touch down damage. Any location along the Gulf coast is subject to storm surge and I'd keep that in mind as to how high above sea level any particular residential property is, and consult a flood plain map before purchasing it Some who have built houses on stilts found out too late that storm surges have been known to sometimes (rarely) travel inland 25 miles and cut off evacuation routes. Storms that get into the Gulf of Mexico can become vicious due to the high temperature of the water and shallow depth for miles outward. Spring Hill is a beautiful place to live as long as there is no storm in the Gulf.
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:40 pm

Glad you are alright....God was definitely watching over you.....take care...
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:58 pm

It missed us...just getting 15 mile winds..not a single drop of rain. :-(
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:43 pm

Thank God ye be safe.
    Hope ye get help cleaning up.

Psycho

Sponsored content