New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

BEWARE YAHOO MAIL!!

Joencalif2

BEWARE YAHOO MAIL!!

Post  Joencalif2 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:20 pm

So they don't bother to tell their users that they've been hacked, to the extent that 1B users may have been hacked, and their private info stolen. First, off let me say that I don't use yahoo for my primary email, I only use it for a backup in the unlikely event gmail goes down but still Yahoo just sucks. I created a new password and use the 2 step verification to protect myself. Now they offer 3 way to get the passcode to type into the box to sign in with. One is my sending the code to you in a text message, second, by email, and they will call you. I opt for the text message, only lately it doesn't show up....so you try an alternative method....an email. The problem is, it doesn't show up either so you hit retry. Of course, that doesn't show up as well. Then finally one of them shows up, and you enter the code only to have it say the code is invalid. So, thinking made up put it in wrong, you re-enter the code. Now, you get a message that you screwed up, and not only entered an invalid code....THE ONE THEY SENT YOU TO BEGIN WITH, you a NOW LOCKED OUT of you email account for the next 12 hours. And they wonder why people don't like them. Needless to say I'm looking for a new backup email. I don't care for outlook that much so now I have to find another. Not a primary email mind you, just a backup. F#($#($ YAHOO!!!!!!
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: BEWARE YAHOO MAIL!!

Post  sinister_midget on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:13 pm

As soon as I heard they were hacked I stopped using it completely. I barely did anyway, but no more. Getting hit is one thing. But getting hit and not bothering to tell anybody is more than I'll take.

I mostly use gmail (many accounts). But I have a paid backup on Fastmail, and several apps give you an alternate account when you sign up for something else. Plus I have two Fire tablets, both of which have another email address assigned to me when purchased, one for each tablet. So I have no need to worry about Yahoo any more anyway.
    manson

Secondary email account.

Post  manson on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:22 am

I started trawling the web looking for a secondary/back up email provider about a year ago. After a lot of frog kissing I came up with GMX https://www.gmx.co.uk/. Like all other email providers it has good and not good reviews etc.

I tested out a few and personally found GMX to my liking. A friend of mine in Germany has been using GMX as her primary business email for over four years without any problems. I have had no problems with it for since starting to use it over nine months ago.

This is only my personal opinion and, I know that for every positive comment/review for any downloaded software there will be negative ones also. Obviously it's not as fully loaded as Gmail but as I said it's only a secondary/back up for me. I think it's worth a look if you need a back up email.
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:20 am

I use Gmail, and I still have my old MyWay email for backup...I usually use it for sending pedlers there... Very Happy
    manson

Some stats on Hacks and Breaches,

Post  manson on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:10 am

That's a lot when you consider that there are only about 7.4 Billion people on earth! And the above are only the largest ones.......
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:24 pm

Thanks for the info, I still can't get myself to pay for email service. I think I'm going to use outlook for a back up for now. I don't have any of my contacts there or anything personal so it will do for what I want to use it for. I got rid of all my personal contacts at yahoo as well, sort of like closing the gate after the horses a gone, but at least I don't have to worry about it. Once I delete the yahoo account altogether I won't have to worry about it.
    manson

Post  manson on Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:52 am

Probably a good time to dump Yahoo Joe....

Yahoo Timeline

• 1994 Yahoo - which stands for Yet Another Hierarchically Organized Oracle - is founded

• 2000 Yahoo valued at $125bn at height of dot.com boom

• 2002 Google rejects a $3bn bid from Yahoo

• 2008 Microsoft's $44.6bn offer for Yahoo is turned down

• 2013 Blogging site Tumblr acquired by Yahoo for $1.1bn

• 2015 Yahoo makes net loss of $4.4bn

• 2016 Verizon agrees $4.8bn deal to buy Yahoo

Add that to the massive hack and you are well rid of them.
    Good luck with Outlook....
    As an afterthought, you could simply create another Gmail account and use that as your secondary/back up email.
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:17 pm

Yup, I only used it as a backup anyway, and after the first big hack I deleted any and all contacts from yahoo anyway. I use gmail exclusively as I have for a long time now. I downloaded GMX and I like how it's set up. Takes a little getting used to, but I like it. Now that is going to be my back up email.
    manson

Post  manson on Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:04 am

Glad you are sorted Joe Very Happy . I chose GMX for it's simple UI, I don't need anything too complicated at my time of life.
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:01 pm

Very Happy

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:27 pm