New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

When I Was Growing Up

JJRobinson

When I Was Growing Up

Post  JJRobinson on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:05 pm

I grew up in Odessa, Tx in a neighborhood where everybody knew each other and we kids played outside most of the time....This was back when everyone treated each other like family....We went outside to play, we got dirty, but washed our hands and faces before eating....We ate everything which our mom cooked....We ate egg sandwiches, tuna sandwiches, PBJs, Meatloaf and Chicken and dumplings....We played on vacant lots, built forts and caught horny frogs and lizards....We played Mother may I, Red Light-green light, Red Rover, football, basketball, dodge ball, hop scotch, hula hoops, kick the can, drop the handkerchief....played jacks, shot marbles,etc....We could take a walk around the neighborhood and ride our bicycle to a friend's house a mile or more down the road....We weren't AFRAID of anything, BUT upsetting our parents....We were taught RESPECT for ALL adults and all others....As a child you didn't interrupt by speaking if an adult was talking....When the street lights came on, it was time to get inside to wash up for dinner....We ate at the table with our whole family and we talked about our day....Occasionally we stayed out in our own yards to catch lightning bugs....We loved going to school because we had loving, caring teachers and we got to see and be with our friends....We watched our mouths around our elders because we knew If you showed any DISRESPECT to any grown-up you would get a spanking!...We were taught about Jesus and God's love for us and church was central in our lives....

We need to get back to those times, because we're losing, or already lost our children to a society which has no respect for authority, no compassion for others or knowledge of God or Jesus....I am proud of where I grew up, and proud that I came from a close knit community, and family, and I will never forget where I came from!
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: When I Was Growing Up

Post  sinister_midget on Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:20 am

It would be nice. But I don't know if it's possible any more. Not with the "adults" we have roaming the streets now.
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:21 am

That's how I was raised, it would be nice to have a world like that now.
    Corruption and drugs are the game now .
    It's a downright shame !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    munchkin72gloria

Post  munchkin72gloria on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:36 am

Those were the days...

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:55 pm