New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Pale Moon

Joencalif2

Pale Moon

Post  Joencalif2 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:06 pm

I downloaded Pale Moon browser and I like it. In fact I like it enough that I would make it my go to browser except for one thing....It won't use most of the addons that I like and use on Firefox....Almost all of the addons I use on FireFox are not compatible with the newest PaleMoon download. If they want people to use it they need to make it more compatible with the Firefox addons.....just say'n...
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: Pale Moon

Post  sinister_midget on Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:06 pm

It works with all of the extensions I decided to put back in.

The only thing I don't like is that I use a speed dial addon. In Firefox I can make it open that as the new tab with a hotkey (Ctrl-T). But I can't do that with Palemoon. There's a button up top that does that, but I prefer to use the keyboard as much as possible rather than moving back and forth Between the mouse and keyboard. And If I Ctrl-T and then realize I made that mistake, when I click the button up top it opens up yet another tab instead of reusing the same one, making one I wanted and one I didn't.

I can make the speed dial my homepage. I just can't make it come up automatically in a new tab like Firefox could.

The best I can get it to do is to open a tab automatically that has a history. The problem with that is some of my lesser-used things are on the speed dial and may not show up in the history when they get pushed out. Plus they're not on that page in an organized order, but go by what was used most recently. The last thing is, I don't want it showing everything I visited an hour ago that I looked at once and will never look at again. The whole reason for the extension is to keep quick access to things I use regularly, not stuff I look at one time.

Other than that one weakness, I like it so far. We'll see as time goes on.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:44 pm

One thing. I did have to get an alternative adblocker. I got uBlock Origin and that works.
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:18 pm

I got the ublock orgin to work, but still I'd like to get some more of them to work....
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:13 pm

A new development. Maybe it only applies to linux due to the toolset used.

I can open several tabs and everything is OK. Not every time, but sometimes I open another tab and all of the tabs start flickering. I can't hit the X to close it due to the flicker. I can use Ctrl-W to close it and the flickering stops. Usually I can get it to stop by opening another tab(Ctrl-T) as well, though not every time.

I know it's not the rendering engine because it uses the same one as Firefox, and that doesn't do that. I suspect it has something to do with the GTK toolkit. Maybe it's the version number. Maybe it's due to another library that isn't there, or one that shouldn't be. All I know for sure is it's in the coding of the browser itself because nothing else does that to me.
    manson

AddOns?

Post  manson on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:41 am

I have 'Click and Clean' add on, on my FF browser.
    I would like it on my Pale Moon browser. (It is compatible with Pale Moon as far as I can see).

It is only available on the FF add on page.
    When I open Pale Moon browser and navigate to the FF add on page and locate 'Click and Clean' the only option is ADD TO FIREFOX.
    Q. How do I get Click and Clean in to Pale Moon?
    Q. Or more accurately, How do I get any add ons in to Pale Moon?
    Any help/advise would be much appreciated but don't be too technical as I'm having an over 60 moment.
    Thanks in advance
    Alex...........
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:18 am

Just click it and it'll install. Ignore the Firefox in the label.

However, just because it shows it will install, that doesn't mean it works. Adblock installs just fine. But it won't work. It comes up like it works in the list of addons, but it never blocks anything.

A couple of others are like that but slightly different, too. Ghostery will install. But then it shows up in the list of installed addons to be incompatible and it's greyed-out.

It appears there's no real compatibility check other than (in my case) whether or not it will work with the OS. And in the case of some, like Adblock, the support is missing to actually make it work.

I imagine some of that is being worked on. I'm going to advise them today of the tab flickering I see, too. It takes time for some of these things to get better. Locating bugs isn't an easy task, even with beta testers reporting them.

On the default page for the browser there's a link to addons, and another to incompatible ones in a list (doesn't show some of them, that's for sure). It's a little different to navigate than the Mozilla site. Poke around there and you can find some stuff. Not necessarily what you're looking for, though.
    manson

Post  manson on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks very much for that SM. I will try right now.
    Just followed your instructions and it worked perfectly. Thank you so much. Very Happy
    I also have Adblock Latitude (ABL) from Pale Moon, seems to be functioning ok.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:18 am

Had to dump it. I'd been having trouble with the site where I store pictures. Uploads never ended, couldn't delete them, sharing did odd things. Finally hit me: Maybe it's Pale Moon. That was it. Everything worked as soon as I changed browsers.
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:48 am

I been watching what yall been saying about Pale Moon...Glad I didn't try it until I finally got yalls take on it...

Would I be considered a liberal for waiting and letting yall do all the work, checking it out, and me just setting back and getting the rewards for yalls hard work on the subject..???    Rolling Eyes
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:00 am

No. That would be considered smart. Liberals are anything but.
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:45 am

Very Happy
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:22 pm

I'm going to dump it too....it's a good browser except for the fact FireFox addons are pretty much unless....makes no sense....
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:59 pm

It may still be too new for some of it to work right. Other browsers are like that a bit. I used Vivaldi. A couple of the extensions I used had some problems, although they mostly worked. Same with Slimjet. Both of those use Chrome addons, but like I said, not all is perfect.
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:54 pm

I think I like Vivaldi over Pale Moon simple because you can use the Chrome addons whereas in Pale Moon it's very limited. There is also an updated build in Vivaldi out 1.6.... I might have to check it out...
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Vivaldi was nice for awhile. It still had the quoting quirks of Chrome since it's an altered version of Chrome. But it worked pretty well.

For awhile. Then it started having soe of the same problems. Some of them built in. Such as using gigantic amounts of memory. But it was also getting slow working on its own with only a couple of tabs open, just like Chrome. Clearing the cache would work a little bit, but not much, and not very long. Just like Chrome.

So I gave that up.

Then I found Slimjet. Same story. Every bit of it.

If somebody made a knockoff of Chrome that addressed those two things I'd use it.

Then again, if somebody made a Firefox knockoff that worked right, that would be even better.

I try newer versions of Vivaldi and Slimjet as they come out. Still not there. Maybe they never will be.

I'll go back and try Pale Moon every so often to see if it improves.

I don't expect there will ever be another one that's perfect or near-perfect since they screwed up Firefox. But I'll continue hoping for a perfecter one.
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:35 pm

I know what you mean, if you find one let me know....

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:26 pm