New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

LINUX MINT OS?

manson

LINUX MINT OS?

Post  manson on Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:00 am

I want to try Linux OS but, I want to save it to an external drive and there is no option to do that from the download site. So, firstly: how to I do that?
    Secondly: It asked that I verify something called ISO and that means nothing to me. What is it and how do I do that?
    Basicaly I need someone to direct me to somewhere that will take me VERY GENTLY through the whole process!
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Alex............
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: LINUX MINT OS?

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:52 am

By "save to an external drive" I take it you mean you want to install it that way. Right?

What you're trying to download will only work when you boot from it. It won't be installable until then. You get the file - the ISO - and burn it to CD or DVD, or make a bootable thumb drive out of it. After that you boot from that media. You can install it from there or you can run it from that media for awhile just to play with it.

The "verify ISO" part deals with making sure the download isn't corrupt. That's all it is. They give you a checksum (usually called an MD5SUM) to use for verification. Basically you run a command to test the downloaded file to see if it outputs the same MD5SUM as the one they give.

How to do it is described at this link. For whatever reason they explain it for Windows near the bottom. In step 5 you would paste the MD5SUM given at the download site into the box instead of the other hashes they're talking about.

All that does is makes sure you have a good file to work with before committing it to a CD/DVD and wasting media. I've used it a few times, but rarely. Most of the downloads I've done have worked the first try (99%) or never worked no matter how many times got them or where I downloaded them from (1% or less). The latter is when I've used the command only to see it fail over and over.

I'll get to any links in a moment. But I'll suggest something else first.

I would suggest that you play a bit before installing it. I'd use a bootable thumb drive of, say, 4G or more. Then download and install unetbootin to use to make the drive. From there you run it, point it to your thumb drive, point it to the downloaded file and tell it to make the drive.

Before you commit, though, something you should know. If you make a bootable drive and use that, every time you get out of it you lose your settings, passwords, bookmarks, etc. But using unetbootin, you can get around that. The file is around 1.6G. The thumb dive is larger (I said 4G, but anything even bigger works, too). What you do is look at the window as you're making it and you'll see a box that says something like "Space to be used to preserve....." That's called "persistence" and it lets you set aside some space to keep those things you'd lose So if you thumb drive is 4G, set that at around 2000MB. More if the drive is larger (6000MB if it's 8G, 14000MB if it's 16G, etc - you don't have to set it to use all of the extra space, but the leftover will be useless if you don't). After that is set, you click OK and it will write it.

That will give you a bootable thumb drive that you can reuse. If you play with it and want to install to hard drive, you can use that same one later for that purpose (settings and stuff won't be carried over on the install, though, but they'll still be on the thumb drive).

Like I say, that's a suggestion.

You can download a PDF that should explain practically everything you need to know from the Mint website at this link. That's probably a good idea anyway since it covers a lot of other things you'll probably have questions about beyond simply running or installing.

If that's still not specific enough to get you where you need to go, say something and I'll see what else I can find.
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:13 am

I use a thumb drive. I put it in a USB port and reboot and press F-12 to get the boot selection.

Whence you use a thumb drive you can't save anything whence you are done simply remove the thumb drive and reboot normal.

I ran Ubantu for a few years had it dowloaded to my hard drive, if done this manner you can save but it takes up hard drive space just like windows.

Psycho          
    manson

Post  manson on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:16 am

Thank you very much guys.

That should be enough for the time being to get me going. Thanks for putting it in plain talking english so an old fool like me can understand.

I'll get on with setting it up and playing with it for a couple of weeks to see how I get on. I'll post back.
    And yes SM I did mean install it that way.

Thanks again SM and Psycho
    Alex............

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:19 am