New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Joe DiGenova: FBI agents refused orders to destroy laptops and they still exist

sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:56 pm

Joseph DiGenova, a former US Attorney and Washington, DC superlawyer is no flake. He has plenty of contacts within the FBI and a reputation to protect. So I take his words on Sirius/XM’s David Webb show quite seriously, as reported by Kerry Picket of the Daily Caller:

Washington D.C. attorney Joe DiGenova said on The David Webb Show on SiriusXM Friday night that despite the FBI agreeing to destroy the laptops of Clinton aide Cheryl Mills and ex-campaign staffer Heather Samuelson as part of immunity deals made during the initial investigation of Clinton’s email server, agents involved in the case refused to destroy the laptops.

“According to the agreement reached with the attorneys who handed over their laptops, the laptops were to be destroyed per the agreement after the testimony was given –the interviews were given – – by the attorneys. The bureau and the department agreed to that,” DiGenova said. “However the laptops contrary to published reports were not destroyed and the reason is the agents who are tasked with destroying them refused to do so. And by the way the laptops are at the FBI for inspection by Congress or federal courts.”

DiGenova said the laptops have already been subpoenaed and the FBI is waiting for Congress to ask for them.

If this is true, it indicates that a serious rebellion was underway in the FBI, with agents refusing a direct order.  Although I am no lawyer, I suppose they might have regarded the order as illegitimate, part of a conspiracy to destroy evidence. It is possible that Comey knew of this rebellion, and that this knowledge shaped his decision to write to Congressional leaders on the resumption of the investigation.

Now that DiGenova has gone public, how long until the laptops are subpoenaed?

Update. Clarice Feldman has a theory as to how this information came to Joe DiGenova. She labels it speculation:

How would Joe know? The agents have a nondisclosure  agreement BUT Joe's a lawyer bound to preserve the confidences of his client so they could hire him, tell him, and no one could compel him to disclose his source.

That's good. They're going to need those laptops once Trump is inaugurated and the Republican Senate (who will hopefully replace McConnell by that time) vote to confirm his AG and the investigations begin.

sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: Joe DiGenova: FBI agents refused orders to destroy laptops and they still exist

Post  sinister_midget on Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:35 pm

I tried to post this once, then the board went ignorant, wouldn't accept it, wouldn't even show me the forum page, then started working again. Meanwhile, it lost it.

Resignation letters piling up from disaffected FBI agents, his wife urging him to admit he was wrong: Why Director Comey jumped at the chance to reopen Hillary investigation

James Comey's decision to revive the investigation of Hillary Clinton's email server and her handling of classified material came after he could no longer resist mounting pressure by mutinous agents in the FBI, including some of his top deputies, according to a source close to the embattled FBI director.

'The atmosphere at the FBI has been toxic ever since Jim announced last July that he wouldn't recommend an indictment against Hillary,' said the source, a close friend who has known Comey for nearly two decades, shares family outings with him, and accompanies him to Catholic mass every week.

'Some people, including department heads, stopped talking to Jim, and even ignored his greetings when they passed him in the hall,' said the source. 'They felt that he betrayed them and brought disgrace on the bureau by letting Hillary off with a slap on the wrist.'

According to the source, Comey fretted over the problem for months and discussed it at great length with his wife, Patrice. 

He told his wife that he was depressed by the stack of resignation letters piling up on his desk from disaffected agents. The letters reminded him every day that morale in the FBI had hit rock bottom.

'He's been ignoring the resignation letters in the hope that he could find a way of remedying the situation,' said the source. 

'When new emails that appeared to be related to Hillary's personal email server turned up in a computer used [her close aide] Huma Abedin and [Abedin's disgraced husband,] Anthony Weiner, Comey jumped at the excuse to reopen the investigation.

'The people he trusts the most have been the angriest at him,' the source continued. 'And that includes his wife, Pat. She kept urging him to admit that he had been wrong when he refused to press charges against the former secretary of state.

'He talks about the damage that he's done to himself and the institution [of the FBI], and how he's been shunned by the men and women who he admires and work for him. It's taken a tremendous toll on him.

'It shattered his ego. He looks like he's aged 10 years in the past four months.'

Poor thing!

But Comey's decision to reopen the case was more than an effort to heal the wound he inflicted on the FBI. 

He was also worried that after the presidential election, Republicans in Congress would mount a probe of how he had granted Hillary political favoritism.

His announcement about the revived investigation, which came just 11 days before the presidential election, was greeted with shock and dismay by Attorney General Loretta Lynch and the prosecutors at the Justice Department.

'Jim told me that Lynch and Obama are furious with him,' the source said.

As I revealed in my latest New York Times bestseller Guilty As Sin Obama said that appointing Comey as FBI direct was 'my worst mistake as president.'

But back in July he had a different tune:

"He's got the resume, but more importantly, a strong sense of right and wrong."

'Lynch and Obama haven't contacted Jim directly,' said the source, 'but they've made it crystal clear through third parties that they disapprove of his effort to save face.'

It would've been perfectly fine, though, if he did something like that to save their behinds.

This was an opportunity to save his own butt. Worse, it's an obvious ploy, not something one might have to wonder about.

I don't think the closeness to the election matters. I think it was a grasp at something to protect himself that he took because it was there and he might not get another chance. He would've done this in September or August if the opportunity came up. But it didn't.

If this had come after the election and she was successful, I doubt we ever would have heard anything about it.

Current date/time is Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:32 pm