New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Is it just me in the UK?

manson

Is it just me in the UK?

Post  manson on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:25 am

Browsing pages using Firefox is grindingly slow and worse still if it is pics or videos. If I swap to Microsoft Edge Browser or Chrome everything runs fast and smooth.

I just can't help but wonder if updates from MS/Google are deliberately slowing down or interfering with FF to force people over to them!
    Has anyone here noticed that their FF is running slower?

Just one example: After clicking on a pic of a cardigan I wanted to purchase it took 2mins and 8secs in Firefox to load the page. I went to the Edge Browser and followed the same proceedure and I was on the page instantaneously!!!
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: Is it just me in the UK?

Post  sinister_midget on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:02 am

Try clearing your cache to see if that helps.

I gave up on Firefox a year or two ago because of a whole lot of other problems I was having with it. But that one usually (not always) got better when I cleared the cache. My problem with it was they kept trying to make it "better" by making it use more memory, run slower and have more bugs. Plus they had a bad habit of killing off my favorite extensions every time they did an update, which was every few days just before I quit using it.

I just wish I could find a suitable replacement. Chrome doesn't really do it for me, but there's not much else to work with since I'm on linux. I used Vivaldi for awhile and that was better than Chrome even though it's an offshoot. But even that became tedious with slowdowns and crashes. I use Slimjet now, another Chrome knockoff. It's starting to have similar problems the last few days

Linux used to have an outstanding browser a few years ago that beat everything I ever tried. But it was dumbed-down so bad awhile back that it was pointless to use it. I think they finally even got rid of it.
    manson

Post  manson on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:31 am

Done the cache clean SM and a few other so called 'FIXES' direct from firefox and all to no avail. And to add insult to injury, immediately after my initial post here firefox crashed twice within a couple of minutes!! Looks like I'll join you and abandon FF. I've given it enough of my time.
    MS and Google want to rule the world and, like firefox I'm too old to fight them now.  Laughing
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:04 am

I got Chrome now, but I got Firefox as a backup browser...I got tired of the crashes and stuff that got to be all the time...Chrome has been okay so far..
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:36 pm

I don't have many problems with FireFox except if you're looking for speed....what I don't like is how they keep messing with the addons. Take away this and that, it's frustrating. I like Chrome, but it's such a ram hog....tried Vivaldi but it's just a clone of Chrome....I don't think there's anything out there now that's any better really.....
    manson

TESTING OUT VIVALDI BROWSER.

Post  manson on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:21 am

I'm testing out the Vivaldi Browser and so far (2 days) it seems to be a lot faster than firefox and, a lot more customizable than Chrome or Edge. Like you JJ I will keep firefox as a backup even though I also have Chrome,Edge and Opera that I don't use. Chrome,Edge and Opera are only sitting there incase all else fails.
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 pm

Never did like Firefox I use Chrome mostly and Edge as backup.

Psycho
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:43 pm

I read yesterday why Chrome (and Maxthon, Vivaldi, Slimjet and any other offshoots) is such a ram hog. It turns out it's because the base is designed for security.

On Firefox and others it's possible for a tab to gather information from another tab. There's nothing built into it to prevent that. In fact, where it's possible to do it, memory is shared between tabs. So some things can leak unintentionally. It's rare. But I'm sure there are some exploits to take advantage of that.

But on the Chrome line, all tabs are totally isolated from each other. On purpose. There's no shared memory. Meaning every tab has to have all of the ram it needs to fulfill the needs of that tab. Even if there's some spare memory on another tab, or something is identical in a few tabs, every tab allocates and isolates itself.

I'd prefer the option to turn that off and let me take the consequences or come up with ways to avoid problems. But I don't get to make that decision.
    manson

Post  manson on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:02 am

I can put up with a little extra RAM Hogging if I get extra layer of security built in. Laughing
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:21 am

Me too... Very Happy
    manson

10 of the best???

Post  manson on Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:17 am

10 Best Web Browsers For Linux

Last Updated: September 30, 2016

http://beebom.com/best-web-browsers-for-linux/
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:42 am

I keep looking at those things, but it never seems to help much.

For example, Firefox and Chrome. Already know about those.

Opera is awesome or really sucks, depending on the site. No in between.

Konqueror isn't really a browser per se, though it does browse. It renders poorly a lot of the time. Most of the time. Sites don't know what to feed it (they often look at browser strings and feed certain types of content to satisfy browser capabilities). So what you get may be a mess, buttons and boxes may or may not work, etc.

Web? I see that. I've run it. I still don't know what it is. But I can't get flash to work, and a lot is less than stellar.

After that it goes downhill quick. Others are OK for looking at pages and nothing else. Some (like Links or Lynx) are great if you don't have a GUI and you have to look at something quick. But it's not something you'd want to use on purpose if you didn't have to.

My favorites (and they all suck to some extent), in order:

• Firefox (when it's not acting goofy, which is getting rarer with every update)
    • Slimjet (for now, but slowly exhibiting some of Chrome's problems)
    • Opera (sometimes, sometimes it's awful)
    • Vivaldi (fell to the same problems as Chrome eventually)
    • Maxthon (same problems as Chrome over time)
    • Chrome (got slow, locked up often, crashed frequently, sometimes sat doing nothing and not responding for several minutes, still use it for one thing and no more)
    • Qupzilla (good for a quick read, but worthless for browsing anything with content)
    • Konqueror (for emergencies only)
    • Links/Lynx/eLinks (I know my way around a commandline enough I don't need it, have other alternative computers to look things up if I really get stuck)

As you can see, nothing works optimally. I spend a fair amount of time on Slimjet, and I'm trying (grudgingly) to work with Firefox again some.
    manson

Post  manson on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:12 am

Wow! SM, you've checked out them browsers. Thanks, that saves me a lot of hastle as you are obviously more tech savvy than me. As for me, I only ever want a browser that loads a page reasonably quickly so I can do my on line banking/shopping and read my emails. So far Vivaldi is outperforming Firefox so I'll stick with it and keep ff on standby in the hope that it finds its legs again and, stops its persistant Not Responding message and Sorry............blah blah Crash.
    munchkin72gloria

Post  munchkin72gloria on Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:54 am

manson wrote:Browsing pages using Firefox is grindingly slow and worse still if it is pics or videos. If I swap to Microsoft Edge Browser or Chrome everything runs fast and smooth.

I just can't help but wonder if updates from MS/Google are deliberately slowing down or interfering with FF to force people over to them!
    Has anyone here noticed that their FF is running slower?

Just one example: After clicking on a pic of a cardigan I wanted to purchase it took 2mins and 8secs in Firefox to load the page. I went to the Edge Browser and followed the same proceedure and I was on the page instantaneously!!!
    I had the same problem. I had good luck with FF for a long time but recently it got slower and was 'hanging'. I finally had to uninstall it and reinstall it and so far so good.
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:14 am

Hmmmmmm...uninstall it and re-install it....Never thought to try that.... Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:22 am