New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Friends

JJRobinson

Friends

Post  JJRobinson on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:58 am

The only friend I got on here so far is Joe...I notice that his name is in black and the rest of the members are blue...I wonder if that means he is on my friend list..?

Also, I notice that when you reply to a thread or make a post, it is best to not "quick reply"...there is no option to turn off the "notify me when a reply is posted on it....There is on the bottom of a reply post...

I learned to post a pic... Smile
    JJRobinson

Re: Friends

Post  JJRobinson on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:02 am

Well, maybe not on the name color... confused
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:01 pm

There are definitely some quirks.

With the Activeboard stuff I had to jump through a few hoops to post a link. There's a thing in the bar that's supposed to do that, but it's greyed-out for me unless there's already a link and I highlight it. Then I can edit the link that's already there. I just couldn't create one. I used to  able to, but not after something changed a few years ago. Weird, yes. But I learned to live with it.

I also had to edit a lot of posts to change certain things because Activeboard saw them as unprintable/indecipherable. That was true of long dahses (had to shorten them or change them to double-dahes) and both apostrophes and quote marks often gave trouble. Plus there was this three-dot thing (...) that some pages had as a single character. Activeboard didn't know what it was, so I had to manually change it to three dots.

I learned all sorts of workarounds there, but I managed.

Then I come here.

Anything I want to post doesn't need to be changed. Except sometimes it wants to put everything down the middle of the page. (I found a way to get around that.)

And it gives me a choice of pulling images to insert from my drive, or from a link (like Activeboard did). If I pull them from my drive it uses very limited local space. (I found a workaround for it, maybe two. But one of them works OK for me while I wouldn't want to force that on everybody. Hopefully the other one I found works OK all the way around. But I won't know for a little while.)

There are a few things the same, but a few others different. I'm finally getting used to most of it. Most of it. Not all. I'll need to give it another week or two and then decide.

Configuration is still sometimes a puzzle. There are options to turn some things on and off. But no explanation for what they are. There's a spot where I can "share" between other boards. (Basically, links to some of their posts would supposedly show up under similar posts here and vice versa. No idea if that would be every post, random posts or what.) But I can only set this one up as one type of board. And I can't delete it if it's the wrong decision, only change it to another single type of board. I thought I might experiment with it to get us a little notice. But not under those conditions. So it's turned off.

There are several places that deal with users. But none of them are the same. So if I have to look for something I need to remember where I saw it or hunt through a few different places until I find it. (Not meaning to sound like that's a nightmare. It's not that bad. Just strange.)

There's no help system to speak of. There's a little question mark you can point at and read what it says. But it's usually short and often creates even more questions to which there are no answers.

It's all manageable so far. If only Activeboard had let me select a theme or proceed without one I might be dealing with something that had some familiarity already. But it is what it is.
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:09 pm

I agree with JJ about not using the "quick reply". I couldn't even get it to accept a post post if I used that feature.

Last edited by Ladyelaine on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:19 pm

I used it and it seems to work for me....
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:57 pm

JJ Re: reply notifications: Click on Profile, then under "options", "a new post in a watched topic" you can uncheck "by e-mail" and/or "in the toolbar". Be sure to check "save" after that.  Also, under "Notifications" you can click "delete all" or select which ones to delete. You can also delete them in the upper right corner of the Forumotion tool bar.

Learning the the features of this board is truly a fun filled experience.  Very Happy
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:28 am

I must be a slow learner "snort"

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:00 am