New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Where the Trump Name Is Emblazoned Now: The Front Yard

sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Some stood alongside heavily trafficked highways, big enough to read a quarter-mile away.

Others occupied quiet corners on dusty county roads.

But an overwhelming majority had one thing in common: They heralded the name TRUMP.

Over the course of eight days, while traveling some 3,000 miles by motorcycle across the northern United States, I was steadily confronted by presidential yard signs.

I idly recorded those in support of Donald J. Trump until, after the first few days, the number approached 100. I eventually lost count.

Those in support of Hillary Clinton were comparatively easy to keep track of: I traveled nearly 2,500 miles before I saw a single one.

By the end of my trip, I’d spotted a whopping five.

The lopsided tally is at least partly a consequence of my route. Draw a sagging, squiggly line from Portland, Ore., to Cleveland, and that’s roughly the path I took, riding my 1973 BMW R75/5 mainly on back roads and quiet highways: State Route 14 and U.S. Route 12 in Washington and Idaho, State Route 43 in Montana, U.S.-36 through Kansas and Missouri.

More often than not, the scenery consisted of the open road and wide views of the horizon, with the Grand Tetons and the greater Rockies in the West giving way to the grasslands and cornfields of the East.

Most of the states I visited — Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri — lean Republican, no doubt skewing the yard-sign count in Mr. Trump’s favor. I also spent much of the trip in rural areas, where Mr. Trump has found more support than Mrs. Clinton.

Still, the route alone would not fully explain his utter dominance of the pastures, lawns and embankments that formed the margins of my field of vision.

Mr. Trump’s supporters also won handily when it came to enthusiasm: Many of the signs bearing his name were either home- or custom-made, and many were closer in size to billboards than to traditional yard signs. (All five of the signs for Mrs. Clinton, on the other hand, looked to be of the official campaign variety, about a foot tall and two feet wide.)

She elicits so much enthusiasm! They not only put up signs, they put up the official small ones you can barely see from the road.

I've also seen a few of her signs in the windows of cars. Nearly half as many as I've seen Obama/Biden stickers.

JJRobinson

Re: Where the Trump Name Is Emblazoned Now: The Front Yard

Post  JJRobinson on Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:00 am

Around my area, I haven't seen any clinton signs and have seen only one window/bumper sticker...

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:25 pm