New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

What a Couple Of Days

Joencalif2

What a Couple Of Days

Post  Joencalif2 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:10 pm

My internet, land line, and TV went down as I have them bundled with AT&T. It took until 6pm this evening for them to get my back up and running.... a day and a half with nothing sucks....
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: What a Couple Of Days

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:36 pm

Around here a lot of people have problems with AT&T. A lot use them because of cost, but they have a lot of headaches to go with it. Usually complaints about service is the biggest gripe, followed by frequent outages. A few people I know complained constantly about them coming out to fix things and leaving with them not working or only working a short time before they was back to the same problem.

The guy across the street has them. (He also has more than enough money, so cost isn't the reason for using them. Maybe it's loyalty to the band name or something.) They've been to his house about 5 times in the last couple of months.

The people down the street had them digging up their back yard a few months ago to fix something. I don't know if it was their problem or somebody else's problem and the bad part was buried in their back yard. All I know is it was torn up for a couple of weeks. That happened at the same place last year.

I don't use AT&T because of who they really are. The original AT&T died off early in this century, a result of the breakup in the 80s finally taking its toll. One of the Baby Bells that was spun off bought the name up and changed their name to it (I think in 2008, maybe 2007). The same company bought Cingular and renamed that to AT&T as well.

None of that would bother me under normal circumstances. But the Baby Bell that did this was Southwestern Bell (later SBC Global before buying the AT&T name). I despise(d) Southwestern Bell. I hated them when they were part of the whole monopoly, but they got even worse after they were spun off.

When I moved here and had a phone with them they were the worst company I'd ever dealt with. My phone didn't work half the time. The line was noisy most of the time (brand new building, so it wasn't because of old wiring). That was terrible for using dialup internet which was about all there was to be had at the time. I found a third party to serve my needs within 6 months of getting them and never had any problems.

I had a Cingular phone at one time and the service went to crap while the prices went up right after they were bought out and the name changed.

Now, maybe they've improved since. I don't know. I'll never know because I refuse to deal with them any more.

DISCLAIMER: My brother used to work for them, both when they belonged to the original AT&T and after they were spun off. He hated them, too, but for different reasons. I didn't even know he didn't like them until after he retired. I already detested them before I knew how he felt about them.
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:42 am

The thing is, I can switch to someone else but my only alternative us Spectrum, which is the new name of Charter and Time Warner after the merger....that's going from the frying pan into the fire. There needs to be more alternatives....
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:01 am

I had Time Warner for years and liked them. There wasn't much choice then, but they were still not bad for a monopoly. A bit too high in price, but it was doable.

Never had Charter. They're in some areas around here, but not mine. What little I've seen didn't impress me. I saw some ads about their "high speed internet" and it was slower than TWC for about the same price. That's probably not the case now.

After I got fiber and got rid of Time Warner they started offering some pretty good deals (compared to the old stuff, not compared to what I have now). Funny how they didn't have those when there was no competition, but they have them now. Even with their deals, though, I'll keep fiber. It's more than 3 times as fast for about the same as their bundles. I don't need their phone that will be reduced in price for 2 years, then go back up to $40 a month (mine is via Straight Talk and costs me $17 after taxes are added). I don't need their TV that will be reduced in price for 2 years then jump to over $100 a month to keep it (I have all I need, more than they'd give me in their package, and it costs me about $45-50 a month - just for media and internet access cost isn't counted here). The only thing I'd get that would stay the same after the initial period (maybe) is slower internet access.

My 1-gigabit internet access is $70 a month, guaranteed for 5 years. I could have had cable speed for free over the same period, except I would have had to buy the modem ($300 paid out at $25 a month until it was paid).

I love what I have. I may or may not even be in this area once the 5 years is up (thinking of moving south, perhaps Alabama or Mississippi, maybe Louisiana but less likely; I want even further south, but getting Mrs. Midget to go along is questionable because she changes her mind about it often.) If I do stay I'll pay whatever additional cost they decide to go with, which I expect would still be less than $100 a month.
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:20 pm

That had to stink...my TV was off 5 minutes and I got mad...back on now though.

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:27 am