New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

My media server

sinister_midget
    Admin

My media server

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:43 pm

I bought one of these cheap a few months back:

It's an Intel COMPUTE stick. It's small (about as wide as a couple of thumbdrives side-by side; a little longer, too), but it sure is a nice device. It has an HDMI port and one USB port. I added a USB hub, a couple of drives and a Logitech keyboard with the mouse plugged in. I didn't need the HDMI port, but I wanted to hook it to my monitor which has no HDMI input. So I bought a DVI adapter and run it on the same monitor this computer runs on. The only thing I wish was different is it will only run wireless. But I have a fiber connection and a strong wireless signal. So it works good enough. I do think it would scream with a wired connection.

I don't remember for sure, but I think I paid something like $80 for it.

The first thing I did was a total backup of the drive in case I needed to restore it or send it in for warranty. It comes with Windows 10, which I have no use for, and I'm not even sure it could handle what I wanted to do. Maybe it could, maybe not. I never tried it. After the backup I then found a place that had a linux version that worked on it and installed that.

I want to put my Plex server on it eventually. I put all of my movies and TV on Plex. My entire music collection is available there. But I've had to put that off. When I put the Plex stuff together last time I put it all on a WD cloud drive and hooked it to the server on this machine. It connects via the network, not direct connection, so it's already available to the stick if I could hook it up. Later my passwords and password manager got all messed up and I lost the password to it. It still works. But as soon as I disconnect it from here and/or connect it someplace else, it will have to be reset so new passwords can be entered. I won't lose any media, but it will take awhile to get it going again. Currently Plex serves 4 ROKUs and any phone or tablet we want to connect to it from anywhere in the world (need a signal of course). That's the only reason I haven't been in a hurry to make the change since I'll have to make it on all of the devices.

So temporarily, just to test the COMPUTE stick I bought, I set up an Emby server (formerly MediaBrowser). It's not as good as Plex (it's free, and Plex charges me $5/month to be able to connect remotely to it). But it's certainly good enough to test what the computer can do. Including serving up remote access.

Emby is working sweet! There are limitations, as I said. But with what it can do it does it very well. Plex is going to run outstanding on it once I have it all set up.

Now all I need to do is find the time to make the change.

Later I'm going to get a good TV tuner card for this computer to record directly to the cloud drive, set up a good outside antenna to get a signal to it, and record whatever we want from over-the-air. As for cable shows, I can get most of those easy enough a day or two later, or via other sources. I pay for Amazon Prime (mostly for the shipping, but movies and TV shows are free with it). And I have Sling (the beta version allows more than one device to connect at a time - that was why I dropped them before, but they made that change and I can live with it). So I'm pretty much covered for almost anything we could ever want, costing much less than cable was charging us for less choice.
    JJRobinson

Re: My media server

Post  JJRobinson on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:00 pm

Sounds like you are fixed up...I just wish I understood more... Very Happy
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:53 pm

My nephew the geek knows all that stuff and talk's to me about it.
    But I am still out in left field *snort*

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:22 am