New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

'Death spiral'? ObamaCare problems making coverage harder to afford, find

sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:30 am

When Health Republic Insurance of New Jersey announced recently that it’s $46 million in debt and shutting down, it became the 17th failed ObamaCare co-op since the Affordable Care Act launched three years ago.

Those failures – just six of the original 23 co-ops remain – have left hundreds of thousands of people scrambling for coverage.  

Meanwhile, insurers claiming big losses are leaving some state exchanges -- including Indiana University Health Plans, whose exit is expected to result in 27,000 Indiana residents losing ObamaCare plans in 2017. And companies still operating in the federal and state exchanges are raising premiums for next year. 

Together, the developments are posing new challenges for Americans seeking affordable coverage, and show the highly touted overhaul of the country’s health care system is in some cases not yielding the savings President Obama once promised.

As a candidate on the campaign trail in 2008, Obama once said: “If you’ve got health insurance, we’re going to help that employer save $2,500 per family per year. … Those savings are going to be passed along to the workers.”

Nationally, though, premium hikes are expected to average 8 percent next year. Many insurance companies are seeking much more than that, for the exchange plans and those offered to employers. 

Premera in Washington state is approved to charge 19 percent more next year. Rates across California will go up an average of 13 percent. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas is asking to raise premiums a stunning 60 percent.

Long-time critics of ObamaCare say they saw it coming.

“That basic promise, that it’s going to make health care more affordable, it’s not making health care more affordable,” said Avik Roy, an author and Republican adviser. “It’s making health care more expensive, especially for the uninsured.” 

The problem remains a risk pool with too many sick people and not enough who are young and healthy. Also, federal backstop programs, aimed at helping companies that miscalculated how much to charge, are now expired. So insurance companies need higher premiums to cover payouts to doctors and hospitals.

The alternative is pulling out of health exchanges, which many companies have been doing. In recent months Aetna, United Health Care and several Blue Cross and Blue Shield subsidiaries have announced they will be leaving many of the exchanges in 2017.

Any good liberal knows how to fix this. Spend more taxpayer money that doesn't exist, raise taxes to kill off more businesses and create more poor people, and increase the debt limit as many times as needed to pay for it with money that doesn't exist.

Let them control the House and Senate and that's exactly what they'll do, too.

Why do you non-Beltway Republicans make this so hard? The ones who have been in Washington forever understand how this works.

JJRobinson

Re: 'Death spiral'? ObamaCare problems making coverage harder to afford, find

Post  JJRobinson on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:51 am

When I was diagnosed with cancer in 07, I didn't have insurance..I costed me all my savings...I mean, I was wiped out...
    I finally got insurance thru my company and that saved me, more or less...When I started taking radiation treatments, I lasted a week before I couldn't work anymore...I got on disability and got on Medicare in Feb. of 2011, and got a supplemental  with Scott and White...The company I worked for kept me on Cobra, which was with S&W, and I stayed with them for my Medicare supplemental....It cost me $185.00 a month...Since then, it has gone up every year, from between $10 and $20 dollars...
    I got my plan for next year yesterday...I am paying right now, until Jan. 2017, $248.10...It will be $259.40....I can't do without it...It has got me thru throat cancer and lung cancer surgery, so I am afraid of not having the policy...

I blame obumacare for this increase...
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:57 am

Obamacare was supposed to cut medical inflation (which had already dropped off precipitously after rising monstrously for decades once the federal government started Medicare and Medicaid). Like every other promise, it wasn't worth the hot air it took to utter it. The first (and only significant) thing it did was increase costs. It will take decades to stop it again, even if Obamacare ceases to exist tomorrow.

JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:04 am

Yep, I believe that...I didn't sign up for VA, until 2012, when my brother was here...He didn't have any insurance, so we signed up...
    I had been prodded to get my VA, by my buddys for a few years, but didn't...I don't believe I would have survived even if I had VA when I was diagnosed with the cancers...S&W is a great hospital... Very Happy
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:33 am

Until I got my S&W, I was paying $40 copay a visit...I got the plan that I didn't have a copay...it costs more a month, but I figured that not having a copay would  more that take care of it...
    I went for Dr. visits and stuff, 53 times one year, and it has been between 30 and 50 times every year since...I have been 26 times so far this year...

So ya see, I figured I could afford the Senior Premium plan with basic RX...Right now, I am taking 8 different pills...
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:39 am

I have Tricare. My copay went up from $12 to $25. My referrals that used to be good for a year with followups now go for 6 months (got caught twice having to pay the whole bill myself because of that). My monthly premium went up, too. But that was pretty low to start with and it's still really low compared to what most people have to pay. (Mine is free. I pay for wife and son.)

In a little over a year I have to go on Medicare and get Part B just to keep my "free" Tricare. But it will be worth it.

Obamacare caused those changes. I can live with the 2 increases. The one that irritates me is the shorter time periods for followups. It's good for 6 months after the date of the OK, which is usually a couple of weeks before the actual appointment. Meaning the referral time expires a couple of weeks before the first followup in many cases. Meaning I have to remember to go back to my doctor to get another followup and get it OKed before the followup date is set or I get stuck with the bill. All of it.

I did myself a favor staying to retirement in the AF. Not because I'm smart. I'm not. I just happened to have let circumstances take their own course (meaning, I was too lazy to be proactive) and lucked into doing the best thing for me that I could have done.
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:50 pm

Yeah, ya did....

I went to the mailbox back in March of 2014, and there was a letter from the SS...I opened it up and didn't have my reading glassed on...It said that I was no longer able to draw disability benefits...I like to have messed my britches....I got in the house, got my reading glasses, and it said that I had reached full retirement...I was to get the same amount that I was when getting disability...Come to find out, they based my disability on my retirement amount... 

So, I reckon that the SS cured me...I am no longer on disability.... Very Happy

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:25 pm