New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Got an ActiveBoard forum set up

Poll

Do you prefer one of the following?

[ 3 ]
    100% [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 

Total Votes: 3
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Got an ActiveBoard forum set up

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:54 pm

I have it working on SparkLit. I have to admin from one browser and post from another, but that's a small price to pay since there's not a lot of administering that needs to be done.

It looks and acts just like TekBoard. That's because themes are very limited and none of the others are acceptable. So if it feels familiar, that's because it is. Except with a new name.

I've found a few other places, too, but all of them have different downsides. The most common is that they all (so far) use similar coding to what this board does, so you might sometimes see odd things if you cut/paste. I haven't, but I haven't tested them a whole lot either.

I'm passing the information along and letting people vote on whether they'd like to go to the new one, stay here or try for a different one. I can personally go any direction.

The link for the new board is http://guileless.activeboard.com/ if you'd like to look, join it, etc. I think you can just login without registering, but that may actually be a product of faulty memory (I was really busy with a lot of stuff the other day when I finally got into the board to test it, so maybe I had to register and just don't remember). Old usernames work since I'm using mine.

My biggest concern is whether or not Sunshine can get logged in. If it requires joining then it should be OK. If not I may have to see if there's something I can do to help fix that. Assuming that's the way people want to go, that is. As I said, I'm game either way it goes.

I attached a poll. I have no idea if it's even going to show up or what it might look like until I post this because it definitely doesn't show up in preview mode.
    Ladyelaine

Re: Got an ActiveBoard forum set up

Post  Ladyelaine on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:46 pm

The newer board allowed me to read without signing in. It does look just like the old one except that the font was so small that it took some effort to read. It took awhile to figure out how things worked on this board and few seem to visit the "old" board but I do like the format of the old (& newer board). The poll does show up here. I too would hope that Sunshine would have no problem there if she prefers that board. I registered there as Lady.
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:06 pm

Strange - I registered there along with my e-mail address for notification that my registration had been accepted and message said if I didn't receive notification within 5 minutes to let the administrator know in order for my account to be released.  I did not receive the email verification but that board apparently did register me as a user because it then listed 2 users, SM being the other one. When I tried to sign in to post it required info re: my Facebook account.  I do not have a Facebook account and do not want one either - so trying to log in did not work for me.
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:08 pm

Whatever the crowd wants. Looks like the Tech board to myself.

Lady I answered your mail on the tech board about EO 
    Thanx
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:41 pm

It comes up with that Facebook login thing, but just ignore that and fill in the blanks below. That's what I did with my non-admin account and it worked fine.
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:42 pm

I did too Lady, thanks...
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:48 pm

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I went in with the other browser to see if there was something I could do about the default font size. Now, after everything working fine for 3 days, it suddenly says my login isn't any good. What? I just logged in with the exact same thing on the exact same browser twice earlier!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest Sparklit/ActiveBoard is having some problems. Which might explain Sunshine's dilemma, too. And maybe has something to do with the problems I was having earlier making my regular username an admin for the boards I tried to set up the first few attempts.
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:59 pm

Must be something wrong there. To begin with it offered me the option of signing in with a Facebook account or filling in info on the right. I filled in the info on the right but never received the email confirmation. Thinking the 2 members listed were SM and Lady, I tried to sign in to post but it would not allow me to log in unless I would submit a Facebook account, or sign up for a Facebook account. The 2 members it lists are SM and administrator. It has not accepted my application.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:14 pm

Like I said, I don't remember if I had to sign up or not.

When I had trouble awhile ago I told it to send me a password reset link. I never got one. I had some trouble with that when I was messing with other accounts, too, but the circumstances were a little different in that I was trying to sign up and login as both me and admin. It forced me to create a default admin account every time I tried since it said my email address and sinister_midget already existed.

I think that site is probably dying. Just a hunch.

So, I'll keep looking for something that is better than this, though the problems here are mostly get-aroundable (told you, I like inventing words). 

I don't know if I have the time or inclination, but if I just got a domain and set one up from scratch I know I could make it work the way I think it should. Not sure how many would agree with what made me happy, though.
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:57 am

I signed up to the newer board...as sunshine.
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:50 am

I never received an email confirmation from my first sign up but tried to log in there with it this morning but it didn't work. I then tried signing up with a different name and received the same message about receiving an email within 5 minutes. I did not receive a confirmation from that attempt either. Both messages said to notify the administrator and request they release my account. One attempt was user name Lady and second attempt was username Lady Elaine.

Sunshine - did you receive an email verification of acceptance?
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:06 am

Well, I removed the poll. It was unanimous among those who expressed an opinion that we stay here.

With all of the trouble Activeboard/Sparklit have given me over the last 7-10 days, I give up on them anyway. There's still TekBoard, which Sunshine can't log into. And there's guileless, which Sunshine can log into but Lady can't. I can't administer either of them, nor the other two I tried setting up before that last one that can no longer be configured by me (detailed here). I could administer them until I logged out, and that was when it stopped working. That would mean no machine reboots, no browser restarts, nothing could change once it was working if I wanted it to continue working. I have enough email addresses that I could create new accounts for a long, long time. Which is what I'd have to do to keep trying. But if the browser has to stay open and logged into admin  forever to make it work, why bother? Particularly since once I logged out it would be in the same stat as TekBoard is now - no administrator.

Meanwhile I'll put half-hearted attempts into finding a place where things work a little bit saner than here. But I've mostly figured out how to get around the idiosyncrasies of this board already (though I still wish they didn't exist), so I can live with it. Even if I find something that works more normal-like, you folks may not want to move anyway. Which is fine with me. But if I find something that seems decent, I'll offer it up after playing with it a few weeks and we'll decide what we'll do then.
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:38 am

Yes, I got a verification email and even posted there today. I like the newer board.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:17 pm

I tried to do the other board because it was familiar. But the site isn't cooperating, and the site owners either don't care or don't know. To contact them requires logging in. As who? One of my admin accounts, sinister_midget, what?

Then there's the fact I haven't paid for a thing while some people are paying customers. I considered that as a possibility (I think Fox did so some things wouldn't be too annoying). But not if things don't work right. Since I'm not paid, are they even going to listen to me?

Do they get enough paid customers that they even care to bother with any of it any more? I sure don't know.

I'd think the problems I'm running into might either be new and affect a lot of people, including paid customers, or they'd be mentioned in one of the FAQs. There's nothing in any FAQ about it. Since it continues and I can't imagine how it would only affect non-paid, it makes me wonder if they are aware or care one way or the other.

There's also no place to look up troubles they may be experiencing.

I'll try logging in as one of the several somebodys I've created sometime today or tomorrow to see if I can get answers. But the way things have been going I don't have a whole lot of hope that I'll get it solved any time soon.

I've created accounts on several other sites. All of them work. I'm not totally satisfied with a couple of them, which is why I haven't passed any links along. I've been totally unsatisfied with 3 others.

The only place giving me this sort of trouble is the old site. Due to problems I've been having with logins, coupled with the Sunshine login problem on the old board and the Lady login problem on the new one, I think this goes deeper into their own configuration, in an area or areas I can't even touch
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:00 pm

It won't let me vote...maybe I have already voted, stay here...
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:59 pm

I like it here.....
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:20 pm

"ditto"

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:24 am