New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Copy and past

Psycho144

Copy and past

Post  Psycho144 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:39 pm

Always shows up with font size indicators at every sentence 
    'That is why I still been posting on the other board.
    How do I eliminate this?????
    Psycho
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: Copy and past

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:22 pm

Good question. It happens to me sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't.

If I do a preview it might show up. Then I do another preview and it goes away. Or not.

One way around it is to paste it as plain text. Hit the "Disable HTML in this post" thing at the bottom. That doesn't do you any good if you want it to be formatted like you copied it, though.

I've been just finding workarounds. But I'll see if there's a setting that needs to be ticked or something.

Another one that bugs me is like this. I copy something and paste it. When I preview it, it looks like this:

This is paragraph one. It says something all by itself.
    This is paragraph two and says something totally different from paragraphs one and three.
    Paragraph three starts here.

So I go though and add a line between them. When I preview it again, it looks like this:

This is paragraph two and says something totally different from paragraphs one and three.

Now there are two blank lines between the lines. So I go delete one, preview it and it looks like this:

Or I leave it alone with the extra blank lines in it.

Sometimes I edit, reformat, edit again and find new surprises.

I've been working with it. But it hasn't been pure joy I tells ya.

(It's not just copy/paste. I wrote all of the above by hand. It did similar tricks to it. And still might by the time I sent it.)
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:23 pm

OK, I've been through everything I can find and can't seem to find a consistent fix. I'm going through the top-level forum help board to see if I can get an answer.

In the meantime I'm testing 2 other boards, both as admin and as user. I'll take more time to go over them this time in light of this board being available and knowing Tekboard won't go for a few years (though it's handicapped by the fact that Sunshine can't participate in it and there's nobody to track down what to do about it).

One of the two boards I'm testing I like a lot so far. But there might be one quirk I can't live with. It might be fixable and I just haven't found the fix yet. But I'll work with it as I have time and inclination.

As a final attempt at a solution, I'll go back to Activeboard and mess around to see if I can ever get past the part where it stops me every time.

The solution will come. Be patient....
    manson

Post  manson on Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:40 am

Ok. think I understand.
    1. You copy text from somewhere.
    2. You right click and select copy.
    3. You then come here to paste. and you get all the punctuation marks and everything else all jumbled together within what you want to paste.
    I have noticed that if this happens when pasting here there is a box top right (looks like a sheet of paper with folded corner) of the Add reply box that is entitled 'switch editor mode' If you click on it, it will remove all the punctuation junk if it's there and add all the junk if it is not. Simply send with junk not there.
    So in conclusion.
    1. Copy your text from your prefered location.
    2. Come here to ADD REPLY.
    3. Paste your text.
    4. If punctuation junk is visible just click

switch editor mode and it should dissapear.
    5. send.
    6. Fingers crossed. cheers
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:26 am

Will try that next time.
    THANX
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:33 pm

I've used that. Sometimes I want all of the excess stuff removed, so ti works.

But sometimes I want the formatting from the original. I want the quotes. I want the bold, the bigger fonts, the colors. Sometimes article authors add those things to make certain things stand out. Using the alternative editor strips that away, too. Basically you're posting plain text. The only alternative would be to leave it out or manually go put it back.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the end of the world. But it would be nice if it worked.

Tekboard has some quirks, too. Especially one for me that requires me to change the editor to html in order to create a link at the top of the page. There's a link button up there. But the only time I can use it is if I already put a link in html then highlight it when in the regular editor. If I don't have an existing link to highlight, that button stays grayed-out. At least it does for me. No idea if anybody else has ever had that problem.

There are some formatting weirdisms on Tekbord as well. But everything I found there I've mostly found how to work around. Here I'm still figuring some of those out.

Meantime, I can get an account on Activeboard. I can log in and out of it. But as soon as I add a user to it, I can log into admin, but can administer anything.

None of the other boards have done that to me. But I haven't found one that's suitable enough to hang my hat on yet. This one is very close. But even it has some problems. Some of which you aren't even aware of (yet, hopefully never).

Next time I'll try creating an account on Activeboard with one browser, join it as myself on another browser, then go back to the one I administer with and give my personal user admin rights. Once I know that's working I won't need to administrator on the other browser except maybe as an emergency.

None of this should be that hard. Thank goodness the balance of human existence doesn't rely on my getting this done in a reasonable time. Since reasonable time is something I don't have much of.
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:06 pm

Every time I copy and then paste something....I have on hell of a time getting the past off the computer screen.....such a mess.... Mad
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:32 pm

Use a damp towel while it's still wet.

Too bad that doesn't work with whiteout!
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:28 pm

Spit and a paper towel works great for yours truely !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:22 pm