New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Yahoo

Ladyelaine

Yahoo

Post  Ladyelaine on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:59 am

Yahoo wouldn't let me sign in this morning without accepting their new terms of service. It seems they are part of a privacy invasion network - Oath. I read the new terms in full & asked myself why anyone would knowingly accept them. If I read them correctly they want me to agree to let them continuously scan everything on my computer including e-mail at every address and all contacts there, financial transactions, photos, literally everything everywhere in order for them to provide me with advertising crap that might interest me, news they deem I should be interested in, etc., and share that info with Verizon & others. They may do it anyway but I didn't agree to it; therefore, could not read any yahoo based e-mail messages or news subscriptions.   affraid
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: Yahoo

Post  sinister_midget on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:26 am

I stopped using them long ago due to them being hacked and not bothering to mention it for a long, long, long time.

Expect to see more of that sort of things. Twitter and Facebook already spy on you in everything you do. They may or may not include the info in any news TOS. But they let you know anyway by letting a (fake) news story about them spying on you go unchallenged. With them it's often a case of you accepting terms they never told you changed just by using their goods.

The worst part is, they often spy on people who don't even use them.

I change browsers around a lot because of things like that. I paid for a VPN service that lets me stay connected through them as much as I want for life (got a really cheap deal that I'm not sure will ever be offered again at such a fantastic price). It allows me to switch around to different countries and servers within those countries as much as I want. When I can I try to force everything into https instead of http (most sites comply). Firefox has an addon for that, and you can choose to allow http-only for the rare sites that don't cooperate. I use extensions and browser settings to try to block everything not directly associated with the sites I visit. I also block Facebook (and NYT, WaPo, NRO and a few others) completely on my machine. Meaning anything they send to read cookies or other spying material never gets a response. (It also means I can't go to those sites intentionally. But sometimes you get lucky like that and have good byproducts result when you want to protect yourself.) I have adblockers galore. I even manually enter (and sometimes download whole lists of them) companies and sites that have sneaky ways of getting around the blockers.

Sounds like a lot of work. And it is if done all at once. I put it together piecemeal, though, and it's not too hard to maintain once it's done.

Current date/time is Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:43 am