New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

I'M WAITING FOR MY POSTCARD

munchkin72gloria

I'M WAITING FOR MY POSTCARD

Post  munchkin72gloria on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:22 pm

So I can do my taxes... Very Happy
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: I'M WAITING FOR MY POSTCARD

Post  sinister_midget on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Postcard?

I do mine online. The last 2 years I made less and paid more than previous years, though this year cost me less than last ($1500 this year, $2800 last). Plus last year I still had one more dependent than I do now.

I used H&R Block about 5 years ago. That's the last time I went to somebody for it. They charged me $400, the woman doing them was a basket case of absent-mindedness, it was inconvenient to have to do things on their timing, etc. The next year I did them online and got more back that way (around $1000) than going through them. Plus it cost me less than $20 to do it. It's a little more time-consuming for me, but I trust me more than I do the storefront places, not to mention a $380 savings and higher refund.

I used another one a couple of time when I worked for the police. They gave discounts to PD employees. I stopped with them when they input my son's social security number wrong then blamed me for it. I handed them his card to read and type it in, but it was my fault they typed it in wrong.

munchkin72gloria

Post  munchkin72gloria on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:55 pm

$400 really seems like a ripoff unless you have a lot of complex investments and things of that sort. I like the mom and pop type tax places but they are quickly disappearing. I've been doing mine but have been struggling. so much paperwork to submit. I want my postcard!
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:21 pm

Oh, you mean the postcard they've been talking about for 20+ years, the one that would make it simple to do.

Dream on!

The Republicrats like to talk about simplifying. Then they add another 1000 pages to the current code and make it more complex, inconsistent and contradictory. But they like it that way because they can hide their own money laundering and cons in the code that lets them keep their money as well as give favors to the companies that pay them off for building shelters.

I agree $400 was high. If I would've known beforehand I wouldn't have gone. Plus the fact that the next year $ got around a $1400 dollar difference by paying only (I think it was) $17.50. Federal filing is always free with those places. They charge to e-file state. They offer other things that I don't need, too, for a higher fee: mailing you a copy (you can print it yourself from their site), storage (I have a hard copy in a box and another copy on the computer), various types of individual assistance (for most just reading the help docs is enough - I didn't even need to do that because most of it is self-explanatory), etc.

The one that screwed up my son's social only charged me $85. I knew Block would be higher. But I never thought it would be more than $300 higher. Plus the woman doing it at Block. In hindsight I should've walked out sometime in the first hour when she babbled on with her friendly nothingness and couldn't even find a stapler she could make work. I had a bad feeling before I ever went there. I should have paid closer attention to my spidey-sense (for those familiar with Spiderman)

munchkin72gloria

Post  munchkin72gloria on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:18 pm

"I should've walked out sometime in the first hour when she babbled on with her friendly nothingness"

yeah, that was a redflag! Very Happy
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:31 pm

Laughing    Laughing    Laughing   I'd always done my own taxes up until one time (in 1958) when I had a very complicated situation with 2 self owner/operator businesses in addition to my employment. I thought I'd take that to a professional tax service mainly to  avoid the hassle and make sure it got done correctly. The professional gentleman looked over my records and receipts,and asked a few questions, got out several of his tax rules manuals, studied them over, then looked at me and said "you know a hell of a lot more than I do about tax rules and forms". He got up from his desk, dug out all of his manuals, put them on his desk and said "I'm giving all of these to you because you will do a better job than I will ever be able to do. You need to be doing taxes instead of me. I quit", and out he walked. I wasn't charged one cent for that experience. I gathered up all the manuals, took them home, and did my own taxes that year and every year since. I've been audited twice in those years and both times received an unheard of letter from the IRS in which they decided I was right and they were wrong.  Smile
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:15 pm

The times I used the small office that was done because I was working 12-hour days and didn't want to mess with it. I could've done it, I know. But I thought my weekends might be better used for sleeping in between taking care of the boy and taking care of the dog.

The time I took it to Block, I was only working 11-hour days. There were some other things that happened which I needed to sort out, too (my wife having income in 2 states, my wife's job changing twice with an IRA rollover, some credits related to my son's schooling, improvements to the house, etc). I'm sure I could have done it, but it was too time-consuming considering the hours I was working and the things I'd never dealt with before. The following year my wife changed jobs again, had another rollover, we had more improvements on the house and my son was still eligible for some credits. I decided to try online. They were going to work with close to the same things Block did the year before. And we got more back. I didn't even go through it as detailed as I do now and we got more back than the "professional" found. If I hadn't been so overwhelmed with other things, I probably would have gone back over Block's work. I bet I would have found more and could have filed an amended return.

I still use online. I make sure to look at all of the possibilities for anything I can claim or deduct at least twice before I ever let it go through during the process. I check everything another time a few weeks later before I file it. My income is simpler now. The wife is holding the one job until she's through working. So I'm doing online what I could do myself just fine. But it's easier and it doesn't really cost me much ($16.25 this year because I committed early). I just avoid the high-pressure ones that spend more time advertising other services I don't need, like TurboTax and Jackson-Hewitt. Block would never get my online business now anyway.

munchkin72gloria

Post  munchkin72gloria on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Ladyelaine wrote:Laughing    Laughing    Laughing   I'd always done my own taxes up until one time (in 1958) when I had a very complicated situation with 2 self owner/operator businesses in addition to my employment. I thought I'd take that to a professional tax service mainly to  avoid the hassle and make sure it got done correctly. The professional gentleman looked over my records and receipts,and asked a few questions, got out several of his tax rules manuals, studied them over, then looked at me and said "you know a hell of a lot more than I do about tax rules and forms". He got up from his desk, dug out all of his manuals, put them on his desk and said "I'm giving all of these to you because you will do a better job than I will ever be able to do. You need to be doing taxes instead of me. I quit", and out he walked. I wasn't charged one cent for that experience. I gathered up all the manuals, took them home, and did my own taxes that year and every year since. I've been audited twice in those years and both times received an unheard of letter from the IRS in which they decided I was right and they were wrong.  Smile

How about that!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:38 am