New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Desktop

Ladyelaine

Desktop

Post  Ladyelaine on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:41 pm

If I right click an icon (on my desktop) that I want to eliminate entirely from my computer(for example "games") and then check delete, will that get rid of the whole thing or will residual files for that be left somewhere?
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: Desktop

Post  sinister_midget on Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:12 pm

That gets rid of the icon, but leaves it installed. Up to 7, for sure. I'm pretty sure they haven't changed that.

One answer I found says this:

Hello. The way I do my uninstalls is the following way. I Right click the Windows icon that's used for the Start menu, select Control Panel, then select Programs and Features. From there, you get the old screen to uninstall programs the same way you did back in Windows 7 and below. Hope this helps.

It sounds to me just like the old way via the Control Panel, just a different way to get to the same thing.
    manson

I'M RUNNING W10 HOME

Post  manson on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:41 am

Personaly I use Advanced Uninstaller Pro http://www.advanceduninstaller.com/ if I want to get rid of an App/Prog and all it's leftovers. It says Pro, the uninstaller and a couple of other functions are free, and you only need to pay if you require any other functions it offers (I don't).

There are other uninstallers like Iobit and Revo you could check out but Revo doesn't work on 64bit PCs.
    As SM says windows has its own built in uninstal utility but it leaves a lot of crap behind.
    I've been using Advanced Uninstaller Pro for about 3 years and it's always performed perfectly without a hitch.

Ps. Nearly always, desktop icons are only shortcuts to Apps/progs and right clicking and deleting them only removes the shortcut (icon) and the programme and all of its features are unaffected and will still be found in your start programme menu.
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:21 am

Thank you both.  Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:18 am