New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

True or False CA Governor Jerry Brown Signs Bill Ensuring Teachers Can’t Shoot Back During Attack

JJRobinson

True or False CA Governor Jerry Brown Signs Bill Ensuring Teachers Can’t Shoot Back During Attack

Post  JJRobinson on Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:27 pm

Is this true...I don't know of a fact check place to find out...I am confused...

CA Governor Jerry Brown Signs Bill Ensuring Teachers Can’t Shoot Back During Attack
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: True or False CA Governor Jerry Brown Signs Bill Ensuring Teachers Can’t Shoot Back During Attack

Post  sinister_midget on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:12 pm

I don't blame you on the fact checkers. Most of them will tell something is wrong. Then they'll tell you what the truth is, which turns out to be what they said was wrong. Or tell you something is wrong and omit certain facts when explaining why that would prove it's right.

I saw that claim yesterday that it was passed and was going to be signed by Governor Moonbeam, too. But I didn't read up on it figuring California is lost anyway. Silicon Valley companies are starting to evacuate because they can't take it any more. California is losing Americans faster than any other state in the union according to U-Haul. Making cities sanctuary was bad enough because it invited felons to go there to commit crimes while avoiding prosecution. Now the whole state is sanctuary. (That doesn't stop federal law enforcement, like ICE. But they have to work a lot harder to get criminals because the whole state refuses to help uphold laws.)

So when I saw mention of that I assumed it was true, just one more reason to stay at least 2 states away so there's a buffer.

But when you mentioned it, I looked it up. I trust these guys to be accurate on the details, though every once in awhile an opinion may slip in that's a little bit questionable. Sometimes in the headline.

Jerry Brown Signs Bill Ensuring Teachers Can’t Shoot Back if Attacked

California Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill on Saturday that guarantees that teachers cannot shoot back if they come under attack at school.

The bill, AB 424, was introduced by Assemblyman Kevin McCarty’s (D-Sacramento).

McCarty introduced his bill after five California school districts chose to allow teachers and/or staff with concealed carry permits to be armed on campus to defend themselves and their students. The five districts were Kern High School District, Kingsburg Joint Union High School District, Folsom Cordova Unified School District, Anderson Union High School District, and Palo Cedro’s North Cow Creek School District.

Breitbart News reported that McCarty justified his push to disarm teachers by saying, “A safe learning environment is essential for our children to be successful in the classroom. That’s not possible if a school district allows armed civilians to roam California school campuses.”

The Los Angeles Times reports that the Firearm Policy Coalition (FPC) opposed the bill and the idea of rendering teachers defenseless. The FPC said: “The constitutional right to bear arms is based on the fundamental human right to self-defense. AB 424 undermines these very important principles based on little more than a whim.”

Brown also signed legislation expanding the list of persons banned from gun ownership in California. Newly prohibited persons include those found guilty of misdemeanor hate crimes. That bill is aimed at people “using force or the threat of force to interfere with another person’s free exercise of any constitutional right because of the other person’s race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.”

California has universal background checks, gun registration, and firearms confiscation laws. The confiscation laws include a prohibited purchasers list, which Democrats have been steadily expanding as opportunities present themselves.

Some text from the actual bill (linked above):

AB 424, McCarty. Possession of a firearm in a school zone.

Existing law makes it a crime to possess a firearm in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, unless it is with the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority.

This bill would delete the authority of a school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority to provide written permission for a person to possess a firearm within a school zone. By expanding the scope of a crime, the bill would create a state-mandated local program. The bill would exempt from that crime the activities of a program involving shooting sports or activities that are sanctioned by a school, school district, college, university, or other governing body of the institution, as specified, and the activities of a certified hunter education program, as specified. The bill would make other conforming changes to related provisions.

The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement.

This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this act for a specified reason.

Clearly this disallows anyone to carry a firearm on school property, rendering self-defense with one a crime.

JJRobinson

Re: True or False CA Governor Jerry Brown Signs Bill Ensuring Teachers Can’t Shoot Back During Attack

Post  JJRobinson on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:40 am

Thanks SM....I was wondering what fact check place do you use...The link please if you don't mind....I don't use snopes anymore for a long time...The article I read, said that he signed it sneaky at night I believe..

I sure feel sorry for the folks in Calif...Sad shape it is in...  Sad
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:42 am

I don't use a fact checking site. The problem with all of the ones I tried is they're misleading. Often intentionally, but the smaller ones sometimes give you what they know as facts without having the complete picture. They aren't intentionally wrong. They're just wrong or misleading. So I don't use a site. I use a method.

First I look at the headline. Then I read  a little of the article to see if it actually supports the headline. Some sites will give amazing headlines for something, then you'll find there's nothing in the article. Sometimes nothing even close, but often it will be there if you read it a certain way and imagine more than it actually says. That's how I came to ignore a number of right-wing sites.

Then I ask myself if it might be true. Not do I want it to be true, or could I imagine it is. I ask myself if it sounds credible. Is it reasonable. Is it something I think is really possible.

After that I look to see where else that's being said. Even then, you may often find that all of the other sites point back to a single one. That is a red flag to me that the first instance is probably deliberately misleading to make as many as possible look bad. (Quite a few times I found a lot of sites with the same story, but every last one of them directed me back to a single source that doesn't have the credibility to get me to believe what it says.) But when I see mention of it in several places I trust (that's the key, because not everybody who is supposedly on my side can be trusted to know enough about anything to rely on them), then I look to see if they name a single source: a White House person, a police agency, a spokesman for this or that official. That could also be deliberately misleading, but if a name is attached to the source, that helps me judge credibility.

I actually read parts of a handful of the articles to make sure they don't just say the same thing verbatim. Of course they should be similar because they're talking about the same thing. Direct quotes from someone should be the same, maybe a little different here and there because one doesn't carry all the same parts of a quote as another. But pretty much identical. But the unquoted parts shouldn't be exactly alike unless one site says they're getting their information from another. If they don't reference another site and the content is identical, that's a red flag against that site. Even if they do mention a site, 100% identical content is a red flag. Maybe or maybe not a killer, depending on how other sites are handing the story.

Once I have seen a few sites I trust with a similar take and non-identical content, then I'll usually judge it probably true. If the people they've quoted are people I consider credible, I'm more likely to believe the story is true. But you can still never be 100% sure unless they offer evidence that you can find on your own (pictures, tweets, links to leaked emails or documents, police reports, the content of legislation, etc).

It's not an easy process. It's not a one-stop deal. But there's a deliberate effort on the left to make the right look bad, so they put out fake stories. There are also plenty on the right who have kook ideas, want attention, are gullible, or maybe have their own reasons for spreading fake information. So the only way to be sure is to follow a process that narrows it down to more or less truth or fake.

It's also not 100% reliable. But it's closer to trustworthy than taking the word of absolutely anybody who comes along, or especially taking the word of NYT, CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, MSNBC, WAPO or any of the other deliberately-skewed sources. It's not perfect, but I find it gets me to at least 95% accuracy (perhaps higher, but I don't want to oversell myself as being foolproof).

I find a lot of information on Gab.ai. It's a mixed bag because there are right wing patriots, people who just want the race to survive and prosper, people who just want the immigrant invasion stopped, Nazis, flat-out racists, mildly liberal people, outright fascist liberals, right wing politicians running for office (I only know of 3 right now, but I bet there are more), people dedicated to exposing pedophilia among the powerful, people only interested in a couple of subjects, people who just want to make friends, people who want to antagonize everybody they can, people that just want to tell and read jokes, white nationalists,people who despise white nationalists - basically a genuine cross-section of the world (not just US, but UK, Germany, Brazil, France, Poland, Canada, Guatemala, almost everywhere other than perhaps Asia - for now). I deal with the downsides to Gab because: a) speech isn't squelched for political reasons, and not even to prevent offensive language or ideas; and, b) it turns me onto sources I may not find elsewhere. Not all of it is credible. In fact a large part isn't. But I still get more from there than I would anywhere else. If I stick to my method of trying to sort the truths out, I find I can get to quite a bit of information that is deliberately avoided or twisted by the usual MSM suspects. You need a strong stomach for some of it. But I have a pretty powerful set of filters of my own. Besides, if somebody is too much for you to take, you can always mute them and you would only see whatever somebody else quotes from them, which reduces their output to nothing or very near nothing where you're concerned.

JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:50 am

Thanks again SM....great to know... Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:29 pm