New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

WOULD ANYONE KNOW WHY A COMPUTER REMAINS LOCKED WITH CORRECT PASSWORD?

munchkin72gloria

WOULD ANYONE KNOW WHY A COMPUTER REMAINS LOCKED WITH CORRECT PASSWORD?

Post  munchkin72gloria on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Password was definitely correct but computer remained locked. After a few hours it eventually worked. Question
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: WOULD ANYONE KNOW WHY A COMPUTER REMAINS LOCKED WITH CORRECT PASSWORD?

Post  sinister_midget on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:01 pm

I can't say for sure why that would happen on the computer. But on a network I was on with the police it would lock you out after 3 tries. Then you'd have to wait 30 minutes to try again.

Looking it up, some people say somehow their login screen had the wrong keyboard layout No idea how that would happen, but if you can check that if it happens again, I'd try that. (I don't recall ever seeing anything allowing a change of layout on the login screen, but I never looked for one either.)

Another one said his numlock key was on, and that made some characters he used numbers instead of letters. I've had that with Windows before. I use smaller keyboards most of the time. They don't have a number pad on them. The numlock key turns it on so some letter keys become numbers. I turned numlock off in the BIOS, but Windows automatically turned it back on at boot. I never did solve that one. I had to always remember to turn numlock off first, usually after the first attempt at login failed.

--  Thomas Sowell
    munchkin72gloria

Post  munchkin72gloria on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:31 pm

sinister_midget wrote:I can't say for sure why that would happen on the computer. But on a network I was on with the police it would lock you out after 3 tries. Then you'd have to wait 30 minutes to try again.

Looking it up, some people say somehow their login screen had the wrong keyboard layout No idea how that would happen, but if you can check that if it happens again, I'd try that. (I don't recall ever seeing anything allowing a change of layout on the login screen, but I never looked for one either.)

Another one said his numlock key was on, and that made some characters he used numbers instead of letters. I've had that with Windows before. I use smaller keyboards most of the time. They don't have a number pad on them. The numlock key turns it on so some letter keys become numbers. I turned numlock off in the BIOS, but Windows automatically turned it back on at boot. I never did solve that one. I had to always remember to turn numlock off first, usually after the first attempt at login failed.

That's very interesting.
    It's a work computer so I try not to do anything 'invasive'.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:46 pm