New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Military Bias

Psycho144

Military Bias

Post  Psycho144 on Sun 4 Feb 2018 - 14:17

Trey Gowdy, former prosecutor and currently R member of congress representing S. Carolina) when this was written (he just announced he is not filing to run for office again). 

Subject: Military Bias 

Trey Gowdy just said a few things about the military in response to a stupid question from a CNN reporter about the ban of transgenders. He nails it!

​"​ 
    Nobody has a "right" to serve in the Military. Nobody. What makes people think the Military is an equal opportunity employer? Very far from it.

The Military uses prejudice regularly and consistently to deny citizens from joining for being too old or too young, too fat or too skinny, too tall or too short. Citizens are denied for having flat feet, or for missing or additional fingers. Poor eyesight will disqualify you, as well as bad teeth. Malnourished? Drug addiction? Bad back? Criminal history? Low IQ? Anxiety? Phobias? Hearing damage? Six arms? Hear voices in your head? Self-identify as a Unicorn? Need a special access ramp for your wheelchair? Can't run the required course in the required time? Can't do the required number of pushups? Not really a "morning person" and refuse to get out of bed before noon? All can be reasons for denial.

The Military has one job. War. Anything else is a distraction and a liability. Did someone just scream "That isn't Fair"? War is VERY unfair, there are no exceptions made for being special or challenged or socially wonderful. YOU change yourself to meet Military standards.. Not the other way around. I say again: You don't change the Military... you must change yourself. The Military doesn't need to accommodate anyone with special issues. The Military needs to Win Wars.

If any of your personal issues are a liability that detract from readiness or lethality... Thank you for applying and good luck in future endeavors. Who's next in line? 
    ​"​ 

"AMEN"
    Psycho

Ladyelaine

Re: Military Bias

Post  Ladyelaine on Sun 4 Feb 2018 - 15:47

According to the Truth Or Fiction site:

"these comments about transgender people serving in the military were incorrectly attributed to Trey Gowdy after President Trump announced a ban on transgender service members in July 2017. The comments appearing at unofficial Trey Gowdy Facebook community page led some to believe that Gowdy defended President Trump's transgender military ban. The commentary appeared on social media sites and discussion forums days before it surfaced on the Trey Gowdy community page. We couldn't find an author listed on any of these posts, but one of its earliest appearances on Reddit attributed it to an unnamed "unofficial Air Force page"."
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Sun 4 Feb 2018 - 18:59

Alright, then I'll say it.

The purpose of the military is to kill people and break their stuff. To that end people are expected to have a minimal amount of intelligence, mental well-being and physical stamina. Everything attributed to Trey above is accurate whether those are his words or not.

People who call themselves transgender have a higher suicide rate than do the overall population. Even Wikipedia (a source only a fool would use as a final authority, which is why leftists like to use it and Snopes to settle any argument they aren't bright enough to handle on their own) mentions the fact. (They attribute it largely to bullying and homophobia, both of which are not the primary reasons. I'll get to that in a moment.) That fact alone is considered a mental issue. Being suicidal, or prone to being suicidal, has always been a disqualifying factor for joining the military.

A site I sometimes go to (sorry, I can't name it for the privacy of others*) has a large number of transgender users. There's practically no bullying or name-calling even though a lot of users aren't transgender, gay or anything else. Despite there being a lack of attempted humiliation or badgering, a large number of the people who identify themselves as such describe themselves as having serious dysphoria about their lives in general (my guess from what I've personally seen is around 15-20%). As large as that percentage is, things tend to be undercounted because a lot of people don't speak up, or they try to hide it or hide from it. Just a guess, the 40% rate I've seen mentioned in several places for suicides among transgender is probably going to be pretty close among those using the site I'm talking about who are dealing with problems related to being transgender. Of those who speak up, clearly most are bordering on suicidal thoughts, either seriously considering it or in the early stages of moving into serious despondency.

I'm sorry, the military is not the place to handle that.

Now, you can make a rule and then add exceptions. "No transgenders" is the rule. But when getting into exceptions it can quickly become nearly impossible to administer, test, evaluate, etc. That detracts completely from the mission of the military: killing people and breaking their killing stuff.

Notice I didn't mention other things that usually come up: unit cohesion, trust and camaraderie between people working side-by-side, costs of counseling and training, etc. Those don't go away. They're an important part of doing the job. Anything that detracts from the job undermines the capability of the military to meet its purpose. Clearly a lack of trust and an inability be comfortable interacting with those you're working around distracts from what's important, which is the mission.

There have always been gays in the military. Often you could pick them out. But not always. And they've had to keep it to themselves to prevent undermining the mission. Until Bubba, they could be asked, and they could lie. After Bubba they couldn't be asked any more. But they were still required to keep it to themselves (until Hussein decided to undermine that). As long as they kept it to themselves, they didn't undermine anything. Once they were identified, nearly always by their own words or deeds, they became a hindrance to the mission and had to be removed.

Anybody who doesn't insist on being recognized as transgender can still manage to work their way in. There's no blood test or physical that can identify anybody who thinks they're something unless they volunteer the information. They'll need to keep it to themselves, and that means they'll still need to be and act the part of the sex they were born with. If they expose themselves as being what they are at a later date, they can be removed. Just like gays always could.

That leaves out anybody joining to get somebody else to pay for it. What about those who already did all of it (drugs, counseling, surgery, further counseling, etc) on their own? I'm not sure. Except I seriously doubt more than maybe 1% of transgenders (probably a small fraction of even that) who have already undergone surgery would consider military life. I believe nearly all of them joining and trying to join do so to avoid the expense of doing it on their own. As a taxpayer, I don't want to have to pay for that, particularly when evidence clearly shows just changing your sex doesn't make much of a dent in the suicide rates. In any case, there's still the problem of unit cohesion, trust among people needing to live and work close to each other and all of that. To me it's not worth risking the damage that could be done to placate such a small number of people as those who already made the physical change on their own.

* To answer what may be going through your mind after this admission, no I'm not into gender-benders! It's just a semi-private site where people discuss all sorts of things, and that happens to be one of many areas.

--  Thomas Sowell

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 25 Feb 2018 - 21:50