New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Trump triggers a half-billion in bonuses for workers

sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:32 pm

.....and the left has a meltdown about it.....

I know. Like that's anything new.

Senate Republicans are boasting: "Millions In Bonuses For More Than 500,000 American Workers Have Already Been Announced."

More in spite of them than because of them. If they'd done one notable useful thing in the entirety of 2017, my bet is the cuts never would have passed. They were scared of going into an election with nothing to run on.

Welcome to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017.

Along with bonuses of $1,000 or so, companies are voluntarily raising their minimum wage to $15 an hour -- or $30,000 a year.

On top of that, take-home-pay will increase next month, when tax deductions are reduced.

The bonuses and the increased take-home-pay should reduce the pressure to raise wages, which in turn will slow inflation even as the economy comes roaring back.

Already, some business are experiencing labor shortages.

The combination of regulatory relief, personal tax cuts, and dropping corporate taxes to the level of our competitors in Europe shows an understanding of capitalism that goes beyond the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's agenda.

A Chamber of Commerce, I remind you, that is dedicated to continually flooding the US wit labor that undercuts the economy of the United States by keeping qualified workers unemployed/underemployed.

President Trump has Republicans knocking down the two biggest barriers to trade: unnecessary regulations and high corporate taxation.

But Republicans also are putting more money in the hands of consumers.

This will "cost" the government a trillion bucks over the next 10 years?

Obama's failed stimuluses cost us $834 billion in 2009-10, $150 billion in 2011, and $120 billion in 2012 for a total $1 trillion in just four years.

Here's the hand. Talk to it.

The blog goes on. It has the Senate press release showing how wonderful they are by using companies' announcements of what they're going to do in light of tax overhaul.

Don't get me wrong. It's a good thing. But Senate Republicans didn't do it because it was good. They did it because they didn't want to get trounced.

And still it's not enough. You'll still be able to call the IRS 10 times with a question, talk to 10 different people and get at least 7 different answers. All of them correct, most of them conflicting with each other. The tax code itself needs to be burned and rewritten. Some of that conflicting prose is deliberate. It makes it easier to get a conviction of somebody you're after. It also makes it easier for some of the donor class and politicians themselves to get off when they deliberately break laws. They have connections to each other, and politicians have indirect control over the IRS. Ordinary people don't have those advantages. All we have is the right to remain silent or get killed as they take everything away from us.

If I need an accountant to do my taxes when I don't have any investments or real estate other than my home, something is wrong with the code. I haven't needed an accountant yet. Last year it was a close call. I went from getting back more than $3000 a year for several years to owing almost $3000 last year on less income. Was I going to pay somebody a few grand for that? Hell no. Was I going to call the IRS for answers? Not on your life. Instead I took 2 months of my unemployed time and researched it as much as I could, tried several angles for filling it out, and that was the best I could could come up with. If it's like that this year (even less income) I may have to go to a professional once and have both years gone over.

I'm one of millions who have problems like that. I'm a little smarter and better equipped than some of them. Others just fork out almost as much to get somebody to do it for them as they're getting back. Just to avoid the chance they might screw up and be homeless. There's something wrong there. And other than a plank when running for office, nobody ever takes it up in an effort to fix it.

--  Thomas Sowell

Current date/time is Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:48 pm