New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Merry Christmas peeps!

Sunshine16

Merry Christmas peeps!

Post  Sunshine16 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:03 am

JJRobinson

Re: Merry Christmas peeps!

Post  JJRobinson on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:10 am

Merry Christmas to all you guys from Texas.... santa rendeer
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:36 am

I hope all is well with everyone, and that all has a Merry Christmas.

Psycho
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Glad everybody had a good one. I did, too. Because I was where I wanted to be for the first time in 40-plus years!

--  Thomas Sowell
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:26 am

So, I take it you and the little woman likes New Mexico huh... Very Happy
    What state do yall live in ?
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:31 am

We're in Missouri. I came from here, she came from all over (her mother moved them all over the country when she was growing up - she was born in Houston) but was living here when I met her.

I hated living in this state since I was a kid. My plan most of my life was to live someplace else, probably west or southwest. I used travel in the Air Force as a means to look around a little at their expense. (I actually moved approximately once a year for the first 10-12 years before I slowed the pace down some.

I was close to retiring from the Air Force and was stationed in the Philippines in 1991 when Mount Pinatubo blew ash all over the island of Luzon. With 2 years left, the AF decided they'd do me a "favor" by sending me as close to where I came from as they could get me. That put me in Illinois, a place I didn't want even more than where I'm from. (I came from a little town south of St Louis about 50 miles. The air base was about 10-15 miles east of St Louis.) I stayed around the area a little while after retirement trying to decide what to do. I actually moved to St Louis after about a year and worked for a little over another year. The internet was still pretty new at the time. I decided I was going to go to Belize and try setting up an ISP because I saw the internet growing even before most people ever heard of it.

But I made a fatal mistake. Several. I took out some personal ads online (I was one of the earliest users of Match.com while they were still totally free.) I got a few hits from several of the ads, but nothing worthwhile. I was down to the last month or so before leaving when I got an email from a woman in Kansas City who saw an ad I forgot I even placed. I came out for a meet. She was nice (as so many of us are when you don't know each other very well, like I was when we met). I went back, thought it over, and decided since Kansas City was in the general direction I was going anyway, I'd stay a bit, maybe move on in a few months. Packed everything up and moved here. And never left. That was 1996.

I still always hated the midwest. I stayed here and worked because a son was on the way, but I still wanted to get out. Once he was gone, that would be a good time to move again.

The longer I stayed, the more I wanted to leave. She was growing tired of it, too. So we decided to look at some places and Alamogordo was excellent, nearly perfect: dryer, warmer, mountains you can drive to in minutes, not expensive, friendly, large enough to get what you need without being too large, you can actually drive through the clouds in the mountains during late summer and early fall, and clouds so low it's almost like you can reach out and touch them at lower elevations. I'm not so fond of all the brown, but even that has a lot of beauty when the rainy season is going on. The only problem is water (too alkaline, tastes nasty), and that's workable. So we're moving there sometime after December 2019. If she can handle the heat in the summer. She'll check that out come July. I know I can because I was stationed there in the early/mid eighties.

I don't know if my son wants to move, too. So he may not be gone (as so many "kids" under 50 seem to be doing these days). He'll have 2 years of college gone. He could go to school in Las Cruces (he'd live there because it's an hour one way) Or he might prefer to stay here because this is where he grew up. I encourage him to move on (when I turned 18 I got out as soon as school was out because I wanted to be on my own), but don't force the issue. I'm not going to get a place just because it does or doesn't accomodate him, but if it does he's welcome to stay awhile. Anyway, he might be able to check out the heat himself next summer, and also get a good look at the surroundings. Which might be just enough to coax him to go one way or the other.

We considered Belize. It's a nice place. And cheap. And friendly to Americans. But she has this worry about being outside the US. I can understand that even though I spent a bit over 10 of my 20 years in Asia, had a couple of trips to the mideast and went to Mexico once a month when I was in Alamogordo before. Besides, Belize is probably too touristy now anyway.

The bottom line of this story is, if you have plans that you really, really want to follow through on, don't take out personals ads on the internet.

--  Thomas Sowell
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Sinister...I grew up in the St Louis area... Florrisant, St Charles, Troy.... I hated the state of MO and 5 years after graduating I left the state for good. I left the day Elvis died.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:05 pm

I had relatives in Florrisant. And Ferguson, Jennings, Hazelwood and a couple of others. I lived in Jennings before I moved here (still had an uncle alive there at the time). That's just down the road from where the abusive "Gentle Giant" was shot being gentle in Ferguson (about a mile from where I lived). I wouldn't live anywhere near there now if I had to. It was on the edge between OK and dangerous 20 years ago when I left it.

I also lived a couple of places near Forest Park and once down south city near Russell and Grand back in the early 70s. Even lived on Waterman back then while it was still safe. I actually came from down south, De Soto. Moved to St Louis at 18, joined the Air Force at 20 and hoped I'd never see the place again except to visit my parents. Now that mom's moved to Vegas and dad's gone I'll never go there (De Soto) again. I have a brother there, but he's totally useless and I don't care if he lives or dies, so that's no motivation.

I've had no relatives in Kansas City except the current wife and son. If not for the ad, I doubt I ever would have even passed through here. It seemed nice for a few months. But that quickly proved to be a facade. (There are worse places, don't get me wrong. But a shack in Montana is better than some places, too. And I wouldn't want to live that way either.) By the time I really began to see what I disliked most, I was pretty much hamstrung because of responsibilities I had acquired.

I know Alamogordo. Yes, it's changed some since I was last there. But it's actually better than it was back then. It's certainly better than I remembered it. But I was 30-31 at that time, so I wasn't too impressed with the area being so dry and brown. But I find I actually like that a little better now that I'm a couple of years older.

Sometime in 2020 I'm out of here (the earlier the better, but it might have to wait for the middle of the year to sell the house off). Then I hope to never, ever, ever see this state again. Or even think of it.

--  Thomas Sowell
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:37 pm

My grandparent's home was in Forest Park. Beautiful brick, lots of stairs leading up to the door.   When ever we stayed with her, she told us to stuff our money in our underwear incase we got robbed.  That was back in the early 60's. We were in Florissant in the 50's.  Small world...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:12 pm