New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Services

Ladyelaine

Services

Post  Ladyelaine on Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:16 pm

#1 -If I "stop" a service (listed under services on the start menu) which was running automatically, will I be able to restore it later if so desired, or will it be "stopped" permanently? I know if I stop it that it will still be listed among services.  

#2 - If I "stop" a service that had been running automatically, will I have to re-stop it each time I turn on the computer or will it stay stopped?
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: Services

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:02 pm

1. Any service you turn off can be turned back on.

2. I don't know of any service that will stay off. There are ways to permanently disable some or all, but each one has to be done in its own way. In other words, there's no single way to turn all services off and make it stay off, each requires something different.

What I said above applies to Windows 7 and lower. I don't have enough experience (make that none) with anything newer. But since it operated that way for all previous versions, I doubt it would be any different for 8 or 10.
    manson

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH SERVICES!!

Post  manson on Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:30 am

Have a look here:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4499-services-start-stop-disable-windows-10-a.html

From that tutorial it does not appear to me to be as simple as just switching on and off (like a light switch).

You could end up with serious problems if you mess with the start up programme and App settings.
    Always remember that a number of programmes can (and often do) share services so, by switching off or disabling one could affect other progs. 
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:32 pm

Thank you both. I got the service stopped yesterday that I wanted to quit running automatically and it was still stopped and not running when I turned on the computer today.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 am