New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Back from travel

sinister_midget
    Admin

Back from travel

Post  sinister_midget on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:32 pm

We were supposed to be out for around 2 weeks. We went to Alamogordo first, then to San Angelo and finally Lawton, OK.

The wife fell in love with Alamogordo right off. Literally. She absolutely loved the mountains (which we drove through) right next to it, and also loved the ones we went through between Alamogordo and Las Cruces.

I was stationed in Alamogordo about 30 years ago. To be honest I didn't like it much, but it wasn't a real strong dislike. I could deal with the weather, but wasn't excited about the lack of green, water problems and things like that. I had a strong suspicion that my wife was going to look at it and not care much for it.

The surprise is, we BOTH loved it! I don't think my memory was faulty. But there are things I didn't pay attention to before. Like the positive effect on my bad sinuses, the appearance made by clouds so close to the ground because of altitude, the beauty of the mountains surrounding the area, the small town feel while also having a larger surrounding area to fulfill our wants and needs. The fact that it's just a few hours to San Diego, or even the Gulf, was a huge bonus as far as my wife was concerned.

That's the upside. The downside is (besides the water problem in the area) it pretty much gave Lawton and San Angelo no chance. We went. We looked around. But the local environment for San Angelo could've been Anywhere USA. Lawton had a similar dry, brown terrain, but the only mountains of any consequence were nothing to recommend the area.

So it looks like Alamogordo is likely. (We already ruled out the eastern areas we were considering a couple of weeks ago, partly due to the hurricane activity.) All that's left is a trip there next year when it's really hot. I already know I can handle that part, but the wife wants to see how well she can deal with it. That trip she'll also take my son along to look at the university in Las Cruses and look the area over himself so he can decide it he wants to relocate with us or stay here. We can't all go because both of the dogs are old and one of them is getting old enough that it would shock him beyond belief if we put him in a kennel. So I'll stay behind next time, and maybe go by myself a short time later if the wife still thinks I'd have a problem with the heat.

The target time for relocating is December 2019 or after, so we have time if the heat is too much for her. I'd still be willing just on the basis of visual appeal and the effect on my bad sinuses. But that far out still gives us time to change our minds several more times.

--  Thomas Sowell
    JJRobinson

Re: Back from travel

Post  JJRobinson on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:17 am

Sounds like a decent trip....I built that Sam's Club in San Angelo in 2005.... Very Happy
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:52 am

If we'd gone to San Angelo first I think we would have loved it. But I also think it would have lost to Alamogordo once we rolled into there.

Lawton was something the wife thought we should stop by on the way one direction or the other. I hitchhiked through there back in the early 70s and what I remembered of it wasn't very good. But such a short time (a few hours) wasn't enough to be fair, so I didn't veto it. But it definitely would've lost out anyway.

We're still considering a couple of other possibilities. Maybe Nevada, perhaps Arkansas. But if the heat isn't a killer for my wife I think Alamogordo is probably it. Or Las Cruces which is only an hour away on the other side of White Sands and one of the mountain ranges.

--  Thomas Sowell

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:48 am