New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Irma Misery

Ladyelaine

Irma Misery

Post  Ladyelaine on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Many people have had it much worse. I could write a book  on it but will condense it knowing this will not be brief but perhaps valuable experience info for someone who has no idea of what to prepare for.

People here were told to shelter in place & not to evacuate or use a shelter unless they were special needs patients or lived in a mobile home & to stay off roads due to traffic congestion from people fleeing south Florida & need for gas, food & water supply trucks, & emergency crews to get through. We were told cars had run out of gas, people stranded, some stations out of gas & no gas could be sold to anyone with a can for their stalled car or to power a portable generator. South Florida evacuees were given priority access to shelters here over local residents. Hotel/motel rooms were booked solid for hundreds of mile, nearest available appeared to be in Missouri or Kansas. 

Before the hurricane (& tornado) got there, my 77 year old youngest sister (a diabetic, walks with a walker or 2 canes, blind in one eye, lives alone inland from Daytona Beach in Deland) tried to leave but her car would not start, her phone was running out of minutes available & battery was dying & nobody would help her. I've not been able to contact her since & can only assume she and her 2 sons who live in Lake Mary are ok. Last cell call info I had from them was that downed trees had ripped the electric service & meter off the side of their house. My son living within the city limits of Orlando got power & phone service back in just a couple of days. His employer in Altamonte Springs still has no power or phone service but my son has been able to continue his work schedule of customer service by using his home computer. My son in Georgia lost service for 5 days from downed trees & snapped power lines which cost him about $200 worth of freezer/frig food that he  had to throw out.

I had 2 pines over 70' tall & a beautiful 50' cedar tree snapped off & landed in my yard. They missed the house & landed over my driveway & mailbox. By the grace of God the oak trees in my back & front yard were not uprooted but lost most of their leaves, lots of branches loaded with acorns the wildlife need for food, & much moss, all of which is now on my lawn along with pine tree limbs, cones, & needles, maple, persimmon & pecan tree branches, making for a highly combustible ground cover which smells like turpentine had been poured everywhere. One oak tree uprooted at the edge of my driveway taking a huge chunk of soil from my driveway with it and leaving a deep hole . Another 50' pine was snapped off & hung up in the air above my driveway in tops of other trees, It fell to the ground across the driveway during the following night. I lost phone, internet, & power for over a week thus no water from well pump - used buckets of salvaged rain barrel water to pour into toilet tank to flush only when ammonia fumes made it absolutely necessary. (I know that is graphic but it is the reality of life potentially for every one of us humans & some might not of thought of this problem before a disaster strikes them.) I hurt my back quite painfully from lifting & carrying buckets of water & spoiled food, & trying to drag limbs out of the way from my doorway & car. Now I can't lean down to tie my shoes, pick something up, difficulty in getting down or up from a chair, or to lift anything heavier than a 1/2 gal jug of water.  I kept hoping power would come back on but had to empty & sanitize my upright freezer/frig when I discovered a puddle of liquid on the floor, draining out from the bottom of the doors. I had to empty all contents using a flashlight in one hand & with the other using rags to sop up liquid & put over $200 of food in buckets to take outside. I have no garbage/trash service here so I unpackaged & tossed all bit by bit into the woods as far as I could toss it. Coyotes, wildcats, raccoons,& buzzards probably appreciated it.
    I have trees leaning precariously that are likely to come down at any time either from wind or already so weakened they may snap. I cannot safely burn any yard debris or the huge amount of nasty trash in garbage bags that I have to keep inside to prevent wild animals tearing into it if I put it outside. Can't burn even in my burning barrel due to danger of ash escaping into the air & landing in yard which is totally covered with now dried out pine needles, tree limbs/branches & moss & starting a hellacious pine pitch/turpentine fueled forest fire. Many roads were blocked for days here due to downed trees across them & power lines - 97% of population had no power due to downed & broken transmission lines to substations and individual lines from substations.

Power came back on last night, turned breaker on to pump, then few minutes later turned on water heater, frig/freezer - discovered I have a short somewhere in house wiring & had to leave 2 thrown breakers off until I can afford to hire an electrician to check it out. Meanwhile I have no lights in my kitchen or laundry area or hall. Microwave works but not range..  At least now I'll be able to open a large can of food & save the leftover in the frig for a next meal. Made a hot cup of coffee - first in over a week, & then took a shower-  1st one since Sunday before last. Now I'm washing clothes.

To summarize - I thank God that I survived and have precious water. I need to get to grocery store whenever they are able to restock the shelves, to dentist, doctor & radiation appointments, & pharmacy. Please join me in praying that Maria turns out to sea and spares people even worse misery than the small by comparison that I have endured. Must get busy, much I must accomplish, be back when I can.
    Psycho144

Re: Irma Misery

Post  Psycho144 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:14 pm

May the good Lord bless and watch over ye. And I hope and pray your sister is OK.

Prayers Psycho
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Good to know you made it. Though bad to hear what you've gone through and are still dealing with.

Here's hoping the family members you have no contact with are just waiting for power to let you know they're OK, too!

--  Thomas Sowell
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:28 am

I know it has been hard on you down there...But, You got by better than lots of folks...One of my friends has gone without electricity for 9 days so far...Electricians from all over are working day and night to get it going again...People helping people, that is what it is all about... Very Happy
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:57 pm

Finally was able to contact my sister & her 2 sons, all had heavy damage but are okay. I was able to get a man with a tractor & bush hog mower to clear my yard debris this morning - took him 6 hours of hard work but now I will be able to burn some trash in my burning barrel after a little forecast rain for tomorrow settles the pine pitch & I can stand there with water hose in hand. No trash or garbage pickup here so next weekend a man with large trailer will come and take a bunch of stuff to the community dump site. I have replenished my emergency rations except for bottled water. When stores get more in, I'll purchase some along with a small quantity of fresh & frozen food - hated having to throw out Jimmy Dean breakfast items & other food due to power failure. Cautiously watching Maria and weather coming off Africa.
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:29 pm

So glad you are okay Lady...that's what is most important. Amazing what a storm can do....having had a 80 foot oak in my house and no power for a week in 2003, I was still much luckier than you to be without so much for so long.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:39 am