New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Trump's 'Read My Lips' Moment

sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:16 am

Is President Trump going back on a centerpiece of his campaign and the rallying point for much of his base? It sure looks like it. Trump should know, however, that he will get nothing in return from Democrats.

There is always the temptation in Washington for conservatives to give up on their principles, if only to gain a reprieve from the endless negative coverage. When it happens, the press typically describes the betrayal as "growing in office."

Trump was hardly a rock-ribbed conservative when he came to Washington. His stated positions on health care, drug prices, trade and other issues put him to the left of textbook conservatism. But over the first eight months in office, his actions were more consistently conservative than even President Reagan.

But his abrupt shift toward making deals with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi has led to lots of positive press.

Trump Then: "We have at least 11 million people in this country that came in illegally. They will go out. Some will come back, the best, through a process.... They're going to get in line with other people." Feb. 2016

Trump Now: "Does anybody really want to throw out good, educated and accomplished young people who have jobs, some serving in the military?" Sept. 2017

First came his deal with them on the debt ceiling, in which he blindsided the GOP by agreeing with Democrats on a short-term debt increase.

This week, Trump, after another meeting with Schumer and Pelosi — in which Republicans were not invited — appeared to cut yet another deal with them on immigration reform that included amnesty for "dreamers" but nothing about building his "big, beautiful wall."

"The wall," Trump told reporters on Thursday, "will come later."

He's not going to get anything whatsoever out of the Democrats for a wall. Anybody who thinks that part was a sellout isn't looking at reality.

Trump went to Democrats for one reason and one reason only: To let Republicans and the world know the stalling is 100% at the hands of the party that's in power.

As for 'dreamers' being given a pass, I recall several months ago Trump pondering what to do about the people who were brought here under the power of parents with no say-so about it. That part isn't new.

But there's more to the 'dreamer' crowd than a bunch of kids who were brought in illegally as tots. There are some "children" who arrived in their 20s and 30s. There are many who were put on trains or handed over to coyotes for the express purpose of getting here as a gateway for the parents to be brought later so the kids weren't alone. Also, DACA was invented by Barry in 2012 It brought a flood of illegals in to take advantage of loose immigration enforcement. Some of those people haven't even been here more than a year or two. They haven't become a part of the American life because they haven't been here long enough to know what it even is.

How are any of those affected? To be honest, I don't know. But I do doubt they'll all be given the same treatment. I could be wrong. But I'm willing to wait and see before deciding Trump sold out. I'm certainly not going to take the word of the people who have poll-tested phrases and ideas to see if their lies, fraud and constant hammering of Trump has accomplished what they were trying to do to make everybody hate Trump.

What I find most fascinating is how his "die-hard" fans jump ship every time the media lies. I mean, Trump was not my first choice. Or my second either. But I stand by him until HE does something to show me he can't be trusted. The people who jump shop at every nuance seem to be the ones who were 100% with him the very first time he uttered the phrase "build a wall." And they keep getting egg on their faces when it comes back that what really happens isn't what the media and wannabe media claim and they have to jump back on the moving Trump train.

--  Thomas Sowell

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:10 am