New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

“Chappaquiddick” -- the movie

sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:55 pm

I do not go to movies because I am a homebody. If I want movie popcorn, I have a microwave.

But I did enjoy a movie review by Owen Gleiberman of Variety, and not just because the film is called, “Chappaquiddick.”

The film's very existence stunned me.

Who would dare pull the mask off the Kennedy Clan?

And yet, here is a movie about Ted Kennedy driving drunk, killing Mary Jo Kopechne, and not only getting away with it but running for president less than a dozen years later.

The spin has always been that this was an incident that cost him the presidency, not that it was a drunk driver killing a woman.

Ted Kennedy was the poster boy for male privilege, and even white privilege.

But now, 48 years later, the truth of this ugly, corrupt politics of Mafiachusetts apparently has made it to the movie theater.

In his review, Owen Gleiberman called it "an event of criminal negligence and cover-up."

He said it defined Ted Kennedy's life.

It ended Mary Jo Kopechne's.

From Owen Gleiberman:

The film says that what happened at Chappaquiddick was even worse than we think. Kopechne’s body was found in a position that implied that she was struggling to keep her head out of the water. And what the film suggests is that once the car turned upside down, she didn’t die; she was alive and then drowned, after a period of time, as the water seeped in. This makes Edward Kennedy’s decision not to report the crime a clear-cut act of criminal negligence — but in spirit (if not legally), it renders it something closer to an act of killing.

Conservatives have pointed that out for years.

Other reviewers saw the movie as sympathetic to a man who killed a woman and used his political connections to avoid prison.

"The push and pull of this movie is really between the lead character and the audience. One moment we feel compassionate: he wants to do the right thing. The next moment he’s gone down the cover-up rabbit hole and is an irredeemable swine. John Curran has a light touch, though. Even when we most hate Ted, we don’t hate the film. Indeed, the cruelest scenes are when things really kick into gear, as when the handlers at the Kennedy Compound start talking about securing this poor young woman’s body," Jordan Hoffman of the Guardian wrote.

Good gravy, there are even fall guys for Kennedy not taking the fall.

Owen Gleiberman of Variety ended his reviewers with a swipe at President Trump, which doubled down on Kennedy.

Owen Gleiberman of Variety ended his reviewers with a swipe at President Trump, which doubled down on Kennedy.

From Owen Gleiberman:

Forty-eight years later, let’s be clear on what the meaning of Chappaquiddick is. Ted Kennedy should, by all rights, have stood trial for involuntary manslaughter, which would likely have ended his political career. The fact that the Kennedy family — the original postwar dynasty of the one percent — possessed, and exerted, the influence to squash the case is the essence of what Chappaquiddick means. The Kennedys lived outside the law; the one instance in American history of an illegally stolen presidential election was the election of John F. Kennedy in 1960. He in all likelihood lost the race to Richard Nixon, but his father tried to steal the election for him by manipulating the vote tallies in (among other places) Illinois. That’s the meaning of Chappaquiddick. too.

I don’t say any of this as a right-wing troll. But those are the facts, and they are facts that liberals, too often, have been willing to shove under the carpet. And they have paid the price. Ted Kennedy became known as “the Lion of the Senate,” and did a lot of good, but when you try to build a governing philosophy on top of lies, one way or another those lies will come back to haunt you. (Hello, Donald Trump! He’s an incompetent bully, but his middle name might be “Liberal Karma.”) As a movie, “Chappaquiddick” doesn’t embellish the incidents it shows us, because it doesn’t have to. It simply delivers the truth of what happened: the logistical truth of the accident, and also the squirmy truth of what went on in Ted Kennedy’s soul. The result may play like avid prose rather than investigative cinema poetry, but it still adds up to a movie that achieves what too few American political dramas do: a reckoning.

The Trump knock aside -- Owen Gleiberman told the truth.

Look for Variety to find a reason to dump Owen Gleiberman.

At the rate things are going, the truth won't come out for some other crooks for 40 years: "Chappaqua - the Clinton mafia."

--  Thomas Sowell

Current date/time is Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:02 pm