New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Winning a war instead of managing it

sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:38 pm

President Trump is staying out of the military's way as he trusts the judgment of our soldiers.

Unlike Barack Obama who envisioned himself as the Shaka Zulu of the Potomac, Trump does not have to prove his manhood. The generals appreciate it.

From Army Lieutenant General Stephen J. Townsend, commander of Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve:

[The Trump administration has] "empowered the chain of command to make more decisions on their own, and has then given top cover to the chain of command, I think, for the decisions that are being made. And I think that's important.

"And that has -- just that alone has effects that reverberate throughout a military organization when they feel like they've been given the -- the authority and the trust to act and act aggressively. Then commanders...aren't constantly calling back to higher headquarters asking for permission, but they're free to act. And I think that's probably very empowering for any commander in our armed forces."

Obama micro-managed the war(s).

Like LBJ before him.

Stalin and Hitler too.

Seriously.

I was reading about Operation Uranus, which resulted in the Soviet Union and the Nazis duking it out in the Battle of Stalingrad.

That battle was a meat grinder that killed 2 million soldiers, both Nazi and Soviet.

From the Warfare History Network:

In the fall of 1942, the Red Army had its back to the wall once again. During the first six months of the 1941 German invasion of the Soviet Union, the Wehrmacht had killed or captured almost three million Russian soldiers. December brought the Soviet Winter Offensive, which sent the German Army reeling back at the cost of another million Russian dead.

Overextended Soviet supply lines, coupled with the onset of the spring thaw, brought the offensive to a halt, allowing both sides to regroup. As replacements and reinforcements rushed to the front, Adolf Hitler began planning a new offensive that he hoped would economically strangle his communist enemy.

Codenamed “Blau” (Blue), the offensive was aimed at seizing the oilfields in the northern Caucasus and establishing a defensive line running along the Don River from Stalingrad to Voronezh. The move would deprive the Russians of valuable oil and, at the same time, provide that much needed commodity to the German armed forces.

Stalin had purged -- executed -- most of his officers in the 1930s to prevent a military coup.

He ran things.

He had luck. Nazi Major Joachim Reichel, the chief of operations of the 23rd Panzer Division, crashed his plane and the Soviets got the plans to Operation Blau that Hitler drew.

It was all there — orders of battle, divisional operational plans, maps, and timetables. The gold mine of information made it quickly up the chain of command. Army and Front commanders gleefully waited for orders from Moscow concerning how the information could be used, but they were sorely disappointed. When news of the find reached Stalin, he dismissed the papers as either forgeries or a deception plot. He had the plans for Blau, and he did nothing.

On the German side, Hitler was furious when told about the debacle. Several officers were sacked, and an air of uncertainty spread through the German high command. Did Reichel manage to destroy the documents or were they now in Soviet hands? No one knew. Nevertheless, Hitler was determined to achieve his goal. The offensive would not be called off.

Two dictators. Two idiots. Two nations engaged in a senseless battle over who gets Poland. (Spoiler alert: The Soviets do.)

Which leads me back to General Townsend:

"I will say that the current administration has pushed decision-making down into the military chain of command. And I don't know of a commander in our armed forces that doesn't appreciate that. I'll -- I'll prefer not to go into specific examples.

"I will say that probably a key result of that is that we don't get second-guessed a lot. Our judgment here on the battlefield in the forward areas is trusted. And we don't get 20 questions with every action that happens on the battlefield and every action that we take.

"And again, I think every commander that I know of appreciates being given the authority and responsibility, and then the trust and backing to implement that. So, that's what I'll say."

Trump is Hitler.

In a pig's eye.

By the way, President Trump giving discretion means the generals give the colonels leeway, and on down the line.

--  Thomas Sowell

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:32 pm