New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Why the Cabinet disagrees with Trump

sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:42 am

Because they can, of course.

One of these days I may get around to explaining to reporters how to cover President Trump because they get him wrong, wrong, wrong.

But watching them crash and burn is half the fun, isn't it?

The press loved Obama's management style, and hates President Trump's. They have it backward.

Of course.

Consider defense secretaries.

In his final year as president, Obama faced public criticism by his former defense secretaries.

Former. They disagreed publicly only when they were safely out of office.

From Katie Pavlich on April 07, 2016:

For years the Obama administration has been accused of micromanaging the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan from inside the White House. Now in an astonishing report from Fox News anchor Bret Baier, three former Obama Defense Secretaries are openly slamming him for his distrust of the military, his failure to lead and they're exposing his inexperienced and closest advisors for second guessing senior field commanders with phone calls to the battlefield. 

"President Obama, he's one of the youngest presidents we've ever had. One of the most inexperienced presidents we've ever had. He has a staff around him that is very inexperienced. I don't think there's one veteran on his senior staff at the White House. I don't believe there's one business person. I don't believe there is one person who's ever run anything. Other than Vice President Biden, none of them have ever been elected to anything. You must levin the loaf, levin your advisors where you get a lot of experience at difference things where he, the President himself, is so inexperienced," Former Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said.

"I think he's got to fundamentally understand and I'm not sure he ever did nor people around him, the tremendous responsibility the United States has. Not to be the world's policemen, but to lead and we're the only ones who can. The world becomes more dangerous, not less dangerous, when America gets less involved in the world. I don't mean invading and occupying and imposing, but leading."

"It was the operational micromanagement that drove me nuts of White House and NSC (National Security Council) staffers calling senior commanders out in the field and asking them questions, second guessing commanders," Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates, who also served under President Bush, said.

"When I I was Deputy National Security Advisor, if I would have tried to, even as deputy, if I had tried to call a field commander, going around Dick Cheney who was Secretary of Defense or Colin Powell who was Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, I'd have had my head handed to me, probably personally by the President."

"I told the combatant commanders and the field commanders, 'If you get calls from the White House staff, if you get a call from the President that's one thing, that's totally okay, that's the chain of command, but you get a call from some White House or National Security Council staffer, you tell them to call me instead and then tell them, oh by the way, go to hell and that's directly from the Secretary of Defense," Gates continued. 

"I think what I've seen in these last four years is almost this cautiousness and over correction which makes it appear that the United States is hesitant to take action and that sends, I think, a message of weakness," Former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said. 

President Trump does not operate that way.
    If you have noticed, his Cabinet members openly disagree with him on some things.

That is the result of his hiring and management policies.

Part of that is that President Trump is no expert. He has ideas. He consults. As I predicted in my books, he will change his mind.

Part of it is on them. He hired people who did not need the job.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson worked his way up to be the boss of Exxon, and now he has a boss again.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross saved Trump's bacon back when his debts exceeded his assets by a billion dollars.

And Defense Secretary Jim Mattis disagrees with President Trump all the time.
    Mattis told Kevin Baron, the executive editor of Defense One:

"First time I met with President Trump, we disagreed on three things in my first 40 minutes with him: on NATO, no torture, and on something else. And he hired me. This is not a man who is immune to being persuaded if he thinks you've got an argument. Anyway, press on."

President Trump does not hire Yes Men.

He hires competent people, and lets them do their jobs.

Right now, the president and Mattis are having a public dispute over transgendered troops. Whatever the outcome, it should be a decision that more people will agree on.

And Trump can be convinced.

From the New York Times on November 22:

On the issue of torture, Mr. Trump suggested he had changed his mind about the value of waterboarding after talking with James N. Mattis, a retired Marine Corps general, who headed the United States Central Command.

“He said, ‘I’ve never found it to be useful,’” Mr. Trump said. He added that Mr. Mattis found more value in building trust and rewarding cooperation with terrorism suspects: “‘Give me a pack of cigarettes and a couple of beers, and I’ll do better.’"

“I was very impressed by that answer,” Mr. Trump said.

Torture, he said, is “not going to make the kind of a difference that a lot of people are thinking.”

Mr. Trump repeated that Mr. Mattis was being “seriously, seriously considered” to be secretary of defense. “I think it’s time, maybe, for a general,” he said.

I am curious as to how beer and cigarettes might convince a strict Muslim of anything, but Mattis was metaphorical.

That give and take impressed General Mattis, and I suspect it was a good recruiting tool for the president. That helps explain why the caliber of this Cabinet is much higher than previous ones. Bush 43 had Rumsfeld. Tillerson, Ross and Mattis are in that league. Mnuchin too.

Not every CEO works this way.

But this one does.

Like I said, someday I may get around to writing how to cover President Trump.

But not today.

UPDATE: Never Trumper Rich Lowry beclowned himself: "Nothing good can come from top officials of the U.S. government making it obvious that they believe, to borrow Tillerson’s phrase, that the president speaks for himself — and no one else."

--  Thomas Sowell

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 am