New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

One way or the other Fauxcohontas owes "reparations"

sinister_midget
    Admin

One way or the other Fauxcohontas owes "reparations"

Post  sinister_midget on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:23 am

She's either a Cherokee squaw (based on her high cheekbones, as she claimed) or she's white. But she better pay up either way!

Court rules that descendants of black slaves owned by members of Cherokee Nation - the second biggest tribe in US - have a right to tribal citizenship

Descendants of black slaves, known as freedmen, who once were owned by members of the Cherokee Nation have a right to tribal citizenship under a ruling handed down by a federal court in Washington, D.C.

US District Judge Thomas Hogan ruled Wednesday in a long-standing dispute between the Cherokee Freedmen and the second-largest tribe in the United States which claims more than 317,000 citizens.

'The Cherokee Nation can continue to define itself as it sees fit,' Hogan wrote in the ruling, 'but must do so equally and evenhandedly with respect to native Cherokees and the descendants of Cherokee Freedmen.'

Cherokee Nation Attorney General Todd Hembree said in a statement the tribe does not plan to appeal the ruling.

'The Cherokee Nation respects the rule of law, and yesterday we began accepting and processing citizenship applications from Freedmen descendants,' Hembree said. 

'As the Attorney General, I see this as an opportunity to resolve the Freedmen citizenship issue and allow the Cherokee Nation to move beyond this dispute.'

He thinks by going along to get along that everything will settle down and life can go on. But I think now is when the radicals move in and stir things up. If anything, it will probably be a bigger thorn in their side than ever. But that's just my guess.

--  Thomas Sowell

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:31 pm