New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Google spying constantly

sinister_midget
    Admin

Google spying constantly

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:27 pm

How Google is secretly recording YOU through your mobile, monitoring millions of conversations every day and storing the creepy audio files

DID you know that Google has been recording you without your knowledge?

I always assume I'm being spied on and recorded. But this shows it goes even further than I imagined.

The technology giant has effectively turned millions of its users' smartphones into listening devices that can capture intimate conversations - even when they aren't in the room.

If you own an Android phone, it's likely that you've used Google's Assistant, which is similar to Apple's Siri.

Google says it only turns on and begins recording when you utter the words "OK Google".

But a Sun investigation has found that the virtual assistant is a little hard of hearing.

In some cases, just saying "OK" in conversation prompted it to switch on your phone and record around 20 seconds of audio.

It regularly switches on the microphone as you go about your day-to-day activities, none the wiser.

Once Google is done recording, it uploads the audio files to its computer servers - often dubbed "the cloud".

These files are accessible from absolutely anywhere in the world - as long as you have an internet connection.

That means any device that is signed into your personal Gmail or Google account can access the library of your deepest, darkest secrets.

So if you're on a laptop right now and signed into Gmail - you could have a listen.

The article goes on to describe some really frightening stuff that gets captured. It also tells you hoe to delete it (which I promptly did).

But I've been looking to dump Android. IOS isn't a viable alternative because it's just as risky to privacy. it's more locked-down to prevent people from doing anything about it, and users get to pay a higher premium for being screwed.

I got an old flip phone. I'd really rather use it. But when I sent my first two texts out I knew that was never going to work. (Nothing is more fun that trying to input an "S" letter, hitting the 7 key only 3 times instead of 4, erasing the character, then having to hit the button 4 more times to get the letter. Then on to the next letter.)

There used to be attempts at replacements: Ubuntu, Joil, Mozilla (which is getting just as bad as the other tech companies) and about a dozen others all went down in flames. One company, Sailfish, is still out there. But it's still in production and there's nothing to download to test it yourself.

I did find one, though, that might work. It's still Android, but it's not tied to Google. It can use the playstore and other stuff. But there's no hooks into it that allow Google to control anything. It's called LineageOS. I haven't tried it yet. I thought I'd put it on my tablet first to see how well it works.

I really want to divorce my devices from Google. And Mozilla. And Microsoft, Apple, and anybody else in Silicon Valley. I'm fed up with their spying, dictating what can and can't be done, deleting files online that they describe as hateful while leaving actual hateful stuff untouched, uninstalling files on my devices (they've done this twice, deleting each one multiple times, and I kept putting them back until they finally left them alone) just because they don't like the person(s) involved, etc.

Using the stuff at the article, I deleted everything except contacts and turned off all syncing except the same. Once I can get my tablet and phone away from them, email accounts are going away, too.

--  Thomas Sowell
    Joencalif2

Re: Google spying constantly

Post  Joencalif2 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:25 am

Sad, just sad....

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:42 pm