New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

TV Sound

Ladyelaine

TV Sound

Post  Ladyelaine on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:40 am

I often leave my TV turned on and tuned to the Weather Channel but with sound muted. I usually leave sound turned off on my computer unless I am viewing a video with no CC. Both are in the same room but in no way connected and my TV is not connected to my broadband landline. My TV remote stays about 10 feet away from my computer keyboard.I have discovered that by clicking on the sound on my computer via keyboard,  it also will simultaneously turn the TV muted sound on & likewise off. This only occurs if I'm watching a video, not when merely reading an article. Does anyone have an explanation for this?   
    scratch
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: TV Sound

Post  sinister_midget on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:28 pm

Wireless keyboard? If so then it could just be either a signal that's the same, a signal that has random noise attached that coincidentally carries the frequency that the TV accepts, or something like that.

It's probably not noise since it mutes and unmutes. Noise would likely do one and not the other.

It could be the keyboard (media buttons, anyway) are tuned to the same frequency on the same band. There are only so many combinations to go around. They almost never come together like that, but sometimes it happens. A guy I worked with said he accidentally got into a car (same brand, same model, same color) after leaving a concert because his remote opened the other car's doors. Only after getting in did he realize what happened. His car was further down the street. I've also heard of people getting a garage door installed and find out their remote opens one across the street, different model, different remote. (Thieves have been known to use that one. They program a remote and drive around pressing it to find garage doors that open to it.)

If it's not a wireless keyboard, then it gets harder to explain. If you have a bluetooth device, IR device or some other sort of transmitter that uses the same band as the TV, that could happen. But that means the computer is sending signals that it shouldn't send without being told to send them. Even a wireless mouse which isn't supposed to transmit from the computer to the mouse could do that. It's rare, but those things have happened before.

The problem here is, most TVs don't use bluetooth for channel changing (some can, maybe some do by default), most devices that hook to a computer aren't IR (they do make some that are, though, and used to make a whole lot of them), things like keyboards and mice usually operate as either bluetooth or the 2.4GHz channel where IR and bluetooth don't exist.

Other than those things, I have no ideas.

Troubleshooting usually isn't hard. But it can be time-consuming and possibly even cost money most people wouldn't like to spend. Generally it amounts to stopping the use of things one device at a time and using some alternative: a different keyboard, a different mouse, maybe playing with settings on the TV, etc.

--  Thomas Sowell
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Neither keyboard nor mouse are Bluetooth, both wired and TV is an old one. It's a mystery as to why I can turn the sound on & off on the TV via keyboard while simultaneously listening to audio on computer but not if I'm simply reading something with both muted. I guess if I want to hear audio on the computer and not also hear the TV I will have to turn off the TV instead of leaving it muted. Thank you for the reply.
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:57 am

confused

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:42 pm