New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Smishing.....Warning.....

Joencalif2

Smishing.....Warning.....

Post  Joencalif2 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:52 am

There's an old scam called smishing that is returning where people try and scam you using your cell phone....here's an article about it....

http://askbobrankin.com/alert_smishing_attacks_on_the_rise.html?awt_l=P64n7&awt_m=IwD_qwkJdeP6SL
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: Smishing.....Warning.....

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 pm

They can try.

I don't answer most of the calls I get except local ones or customers that I called first. I block all sorts of things. If I get voicemails, I delete them. If they call my Google Voice number I get an email that has a transcript of the voicemail.

If the calls contain threats, I ignore them.

I only respond to sms from people who obviously sent to the wrong person, then just to tell them they screwed up. Any further messages from them get dumped.

If I get a request to call somebody I call them at a number I know for them. If I get a link to a website, I don't go to it. Especially on a phone or tablet. If I'm at home I'll only go to the website that I already know for them on the computer, not on the phone or tablet.

I can't say I'll never be a victim. I can say they're going to have work really, really hard to make me one.

--  Thomas Sowell
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:33 pm

I hear ya.... Very Happy
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:27 pm

Got a call that didn't ring through earlier (marked as spam). It came from Washington state (I'm not supposed to notice it's the state, not DC). They left a voicemail. I take it that it went to my Google Voice number since I got both a text and an email telling me what the voicemail says.

It seems the Department of Education is going to file a lawsuit against me. Probably for a student loan I'm not paying back. Which makes sense since I never had a student loan in my life. Neither has my wife.

My name isn't mentioned. But that's OK since I'm sure they know it (though I doubt they'd tell me if I answered the phone and asked them what my name is). I'm guessing they suspect I know my name, too.

They didn't give any details except to say the department is filing a lawsuit, and I can call "on our department" at a number to find out more about it.

I didn't listen to the voicemail. But I'm willing to bet it's the same "federal employee" with a East European accent that called and told me he was an IRS agent last year, saying I'd better call him back or the IRS was going to seize everything. That one came from Washington state, too.

I've considered calling them back both times to tell them I need an address to send the bill. You see, I use prepaid phones. So every call costs me even though I never hear or talk to them. I use Truecaller and that picks up and hangs up without letting it ring my phone more than once. (I never even hear that one ring unless I'm on bluetooth because the ringer starts off very low volume and ramps up on each subsequent ring. I won't hear the first one at all, ever, from the phone. On bluetooth I'll get one ding and it's over.) I thought about telling them they owe me for all of the calls they've made to try to trick me into giving them my information. But I know it's pointless, so I never was tempted too much.

--  Thomas Sowell
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:24 pm

It's amazing what they come up with....still if it didn't work they wouldn't do it...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:24 am