New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

I used to wonder....

sinister_midget
    Admin

I used to wonder....

Post  sinister_midget on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:34 am

I always assumed people started living longer due to advancements in medicine. I thought doctors got better at diagnosing and treating things that used to be deadly. So people not only didn't die from those maladies, but the byproducts also brought gains in areas of making people healthier, which also added to length of life.

At least, that's what the scientists have been selling us all of my life.

Then I had a power outage that lasted 2 days in 100-107° temperatures with 99% humidity. And zero air movement. No cooling other than fans to recirculate the 120-140° (inside) temperatures and keep the food safe.

That's when I realized: medical people have been lying, people used to die earlier because they wanted to.

This isn't my first trip around that block. But where I was raised the temps never got over 95-98°, and the humidity, while high, never got as high as it does here. In my 20+ years here, this was the worst one yet.

Had one a month ago, wasn't half as bad even though it lasted about as long. Bought the generator (5 years ago) for such events. This year is the first time I actually had to use it much. Before I bought it we had 2-3 outages every year that lasted a day or more. Between then and now it never had to run for more than a few hours. I think the longest until this year was around 6 hours.

I think when we move in a few years I'll invest in either a whole house generator or some solar with backup. It gets hotter in the places we're considering (New Mexico, Texas, Florida, Georgia), though the humidity is lower in 2 of those places. I just don't want to have to deal with this garbage any more. And I feel for the people who don't have any choice about it.

--  Thomas Sowell
    Psycho144

Re: I used to wonder....

Post  Psycho144 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Whence we have a outage I always go for a bag of ice. I usually have several insulin vials so I ice them down.
    Other than that I live with it. My son is a heating and air tech, he just installed a new furnace and air units.
     Never had any trouble out of my old ones but they was 24 yrs old. At 77 yrs old I can't tolerate the heat like I used to.

Psycho
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Don't move to the Houston area...you sweat takin a shower...

West Texas is good humility...
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:32 pm

If I move to Texas it will probably be San Angelo or thereabouts.

If I move to Florida it'll be panhandle area. Possibly Milton or somewhere near there, but not directly on the coast.

Georgia is the least likely of the four, but it's possible we'd end up just across the state line from Florida.

I've been to New Mexico. I've been to where the wife is considering (that one is her idea). We'll take a trip down that way later this year to see if she still thinks it's a good one. She thinks the mountains and White Sands will be good. I think all of the brown will change her mind. I could live with it. But it's not someplace I would ever give first thought to.

Coasts are out because of hurricanes, humidity, etc. Milton might even be too close. I suspect southern Georgia is too humid, too. But we'll look around both areas.

My bets are on San Angelo or Alamagordo, give or take a few miles. The wife wouldn't want too far west in Texas because it's flat and brown. So's Alamagordo, but there are mountains not too far off. She thinks that'll make up for it. I have my doubts.

--  Thomas Sowell
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:20 am

San Angelo is a great town....Been there a 100 times since I was a kid....I built the Sam's Club there in 2005, and I pass thru when I go to my hometown of Odessa... Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:54 am