New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Bothered by spam callers?

sinister_midget
    Admin

Bothered by spam callers?

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:47 pm

I was getting calls from an "IRS agent" with a Russian accent in Washington state that threatened to take everything I own and arrest me if I didn't call him back and agree to whatever terms he was going to lay out. I never took the call, but let it go to voicemail. I knew he was a hoax, but I still was annoyed by the frequency of the calls.

I also got calls from a number on the other side of this state pretending to be a bill collector. It was for a bill I never had. I answered that one once and told him I'd be waiting by the door with a gun when he showed up. I never answered again, but he bothered me several more times.

I've been bothered for new mortgages.

I've been bothered for car loans.

I've been bothered by people I don't even know calling in the middle of the night for someone that hasn't had this number for at least 3 years. (Some of them the same people calling over and over after telling them the number's owner has changed.)

I've even been called from Kenya a number of times for whatever the Kenyans want from me.

First thing, I don't like letting the phone ring until they hang up or go to voicemail, I also don't like swiping a refusal. Honestly, I'd rather not have to bother with any of them at all, including knowing whether or not they called. I don't care if they do.

So I found and installed TrueCaller. It lets me block such calls. It's great at advising me that the call coming in which isn't blocked has been identified by others as a spammer, too.

Now I hardly ever get any nuisance calls. Because it blocks them all.

Now, it's not perfect. It blocks them perfectly. But it will ring your phone once before blocking. In my case I never hear it on the phone. My phone, a MOTO G, starts at a low sound level and ramps it up with each ring. So I never hear the first one. The only reason I know it does that is because I have my phone connected to a wireless phone via bluetooth at home (the same kind as a regular wireless home phone, but I only use this particular one for my cell). That one rings once before the call gets dropped. So I know a spammer tried to call, but not which one unless I bother to dig for it. When I'm not at home I don't even know they tried to get me. Nor do I care.

Along the same lines, if you get text messages from spammers and you want it to stop (had that going on, too), there's TrueMessenger which does the same thing with texts.

There's also TrueContacts which completes the triad, but I never used that because I installed Contacts+ a long time ago and already like it. But it might be worth looking into.

I use Tracfone's service and I hate getting calls and messages I have to pay for that I don't even want. Now I don't.
    JJRobinson

Re: Bothered by spam callers?

Post  JJRobinson on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:46 pm

I just have an ole flip top phone...I got a pic the other day and it was so small...How small was it....So small that the magnifying glass had to had a magnifying glass...

I couldn't make it out...so,how do I get rid of spam callers on this phone...?
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:00 am

With that one you're stuck. There's no way to block them without an app to identify them. And no app works on anything other than Android and iPhone currently.

There is, however, rumor that Google is coming out with an entirely different phone OS in the near future. That still won't do you any good with that phone. But it will be one more OS that people will build apps for, and that function will be one of the ones they'll aim for.
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:32 am

I think I will go down to the ATT store today and ask them about it...That is where I bought the LG phone...
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:15 pm

Thanks for the info.....although my Galaxy 7 lets me block them I can only do it after they have already called me....I'll give this true caller a try...
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:33 pm

You can set Truecaller to automatically block known spammers without bothering you. Or you can set it to let you approve each one the first time. I chose the second option because I might not agree in some cases that what other people call spammers really are.

For instance, if I have a phone account and they call me, I want to talk to them. Other people might call it spam because the company calling them is trying to make them pay their bill. (I don't have an account that I get calls. I just get texts. But that was only an example.)

I used one a few years ago (not this one) and I set it to automatically block known spammers. My wife's calls weren't getting through. Even when I set it to allow those through until I reject them it already had her tagged as a confirmed spammer. I uninstalled and reinstalled. But it didn't clean out the old database (Android left a lot of garbage behind when you uninstalled in the early days) and she kept getting tagged as spam. I had to change to something else so her calls could get through.

All I'm saying is, be careful with the settings so it doesn't take out people you want to hear from.
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:56 pm

I've been using true caller and I really like it....so far none of the spammer have gotten through yet.

Current date/time is Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:40 am