New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Apple hits a homer in Hong Kong

sinister_midget
    Admin

Apple hits a homer in Hong Kong

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:12 pm

iPhone 7's new slogan translates to 'This is penis' in Cantonese: Users in Hong Kong mock Apple's advertising

Not so fast! Maybe it's not a blunder. Tim Cook, the CEO, is gay.

Other great ones:

• "Coca-Cola" translates to either "bite the wax tadpole" or "female horse stuffed with wax" in Chinese. They changed the name before selling any.
    • A Nike ad on the website of a guy named Oscar Pistorius carried the caption "I am the bullet in the chamber." Later he was arrested in the shooting death of his girlfriend, so the ad was pulled.
    • In 1997 Weight Watchers sent out direct mailers with Sarah Ferguson on them. The caption was "harder than outrunning the paparazzi." After they were already in the mail and some were even delivered, Princess Diana was killed.
    • A diet candy called Ayds went on the shelf about the time the AIDS epidemic started. (I actually found a tin of this in some stuff I got from my mother, but I lost it. Wish I still had it.)
    • Pepsi introduced their product into the Chinese market with the slogan "Come alive with the Pepsi Generation!" In Chinese the translation meant "Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the grave."
    • Finally, there was the following ad that was made by people who were paid to make ads for VW. They made it as a joke. It was never publicly released. But it accidentally slipped out (probably one of their friends sent it to another friend who sent it to other friends, etc) and it went viral. They lost their contract right after this became public:

JJRobinson

Re: Apple hits a homer in Hong Kong

Post  JJRobinson on Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:43 pm

Very Happy
    manson

Post  manson on Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:11 am

[*]Probably why the Fiat Pinto car didn't sell very well in Portugal.

[*]The translations of the written Portuguese word "pinto" into written English are:

[*]wiener

[*]cock

[*]dick

Laughing
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:08 pm

Very Happy
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:30 pm

Very Happy   Very Happy   Very Happy