New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Sun May 21, 2017 9:53 am

I ask this because I never open suspicious e-mail. In my Yahoo inbox this morning there is an e-mail appearing to come from Yahoo and titled "If you have not yet heard -Terms of Service Update". I've never received an e-mail from Yahoo before and am wondering if this is legitimate or a scam. I hesitate to open it. Does anyone know?
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: E-Mail

Post  sinister_midget on Sun May 21, 2017 10:38 am

I don't know it to be a fact, but I have received similar from Yahoo before. It's been awhile. They do update their terms every once in awhile, though, like most companies do.

I can't be sure this one is legit. I didn't get one because I stopped using Yahoo a long while back because they were hacked and didn't bother telling anybody for a long, long time that their stuff may have been stolen, hijacked, used to commit fraud in the users' names, etc. If they couldn't be trusted to tell me why the police of FBI might be showing up at my door, or that my bank account is possibly empty because somebody stole my information through their servers, then I figured I can't trust them for even the simplest things.

I don't use Windows so I'd open it to see what it is. But being Yahoo, and being as you DO use Windows, I can understand being cautious about opening anything from them, too.

The good news is, most of the terms updates for free services usually don't amount to very much. Usually. Sometimes the update says in language deliberately manipulated to make things sound less heinous than they really are that they're going to start selling anything and everything they've figured out about you and you agree to that if you use their product. But most companies that do those things were doing them before any updates in terms anyway. Updates that mention that are usually to clarify things more in lawyerspeak, meaning it won't make any more or less sense to the average person than it did before the update. Other updates may add more verbiage or reword a few sentences to make things just as clear as mud as they were before they rearranged the words in the sentences. What I'm getting at here is you probably won't be much or any more enlightened if you read any changes in terms than you would if you tossed the email unread.

You might be able to go online and read the terms. Sometimes they contrast what things used to say in one paragraph and show you what was changed or added in another. Google used to do that. Not everybody does.

I do go on, don't I?

♪    ♯♫    ♪    ♩    ♭♩    ♪    ♬    ♫    ♪    ♭♬
    Who's reaching out to smother a moment
    Everyone knows it's Windy

Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Sun May 21, 2017 12:34 pm

I would open it great caution. If there is a link to click on DON'T DO IT....that could be anything from ransomware to malware to who knows what. Trust nothing on Yahoo. I canceled my account but I have to wait 90 days for it to take effect and even then they keep your personal info regardless if you use them or not. Now I see that google has purchased Yahoo so who knows what they are going to get rid of and what they will keep. Be wary of Yahoo is all I have to say. If I were you, I'd find another email provider. There are a lot of good email providers out there, you just have to look.
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Sun May 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks to you both. I cautiously opened it and it stated that Yahoo plans to sell its operating business to Verizon and they anticipate the transaction will be completed in June - terms of service will automatically be updated effective on June 8, 2017 unless a Yahoo account is canceled before then. It then urges one to click on their terms of service to see what changes will be made. I have not yet clicked on to that.

I did find elsewhere that effective that date Verizon customers will find that the URLs used to access their accounts will change and those who want to continue to use Yahoo software such as Instant Messenger or Toolbar are recommended to use a Yahoo.com account, then to download the latest version of Yahoo software. Also, they should change their homepage to http://www.verizon.net for easy access to their Verizon e-mail , tools, & services.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Sun May 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Doesn't sound like the deal is being received very well by most in the industry:

https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?query=bought+yahoo&cat=web&pl=opensearch&language=english

My own experience with Verizon was only for a hotspot I wanted for just one moth. Ended up costing me about $130 instead of the $40 they advertised. It made me mad and I tried with no success to get it fixed. So I didn't pay the bill for several months. They deactivated the device. I waited 3 more months, then paid it. They asked if I wanted it to be reactivated and I told them killing it was why I deliberately didn't pay for over 5 months.

What you say is they sold their operational part to Verizon. I saw something earlier today that said Google bought something from them, too. My guess would be everything of a personal nature.

Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Mon May 22, 2017 9:51 am

Yes, operational is correct.

Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:29 pm