New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

New TV Provider....

Joencalif2

New TV Provider....

Post  Joencalif2 on Fri May 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Well I switched from Uverse 450 to DirectTV (all through AT&T) and it cut my bill in half, plus I love the quality of everything it has to offer. So much better than Uverse.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: New TV Provider....

Post  sinister_midget on Fri May 05, 2017 10:22 pm

All of my TV is over-the-air (OTA) and Roku (SlingTV, Amazon Prime, Netflix - which I don't personally watch but the wife and son do - and a couple of others). I hardly even do OTA any more because there's nothing there I really want except local news, and I get that on the radio a lot of the time. I also watch movies/TV on Crackle and a few other lesser channels on the Roku. I run my own Plex server where I have quite a few movies and TV shows. It can be accessed by every Roku in the house, so it serves all 4 TVs I'm working on setting up Kodi so it can feed the Rokus and computers around the house. Kodi is good because it has apps that can access several channels for little or nothing. VUDU (Walmart) now has some free movies and stuff if you're willing to put up with commercials, too.

I had cable for years. But it really was getting to be too much money for too little content anybody here watched. My son watched Disney until he grew out of it. My wife watched Bravo until they became pretty much a Real Housewives of This or That channel and a lot of gay stuff. She also watched the History channel, but they turned into aliens and weird conspiracy stuff. When I moved over to Google fiber I refused to get TV at all. My bill has been $70/month  for about 3 years now, plus $20/month for Sling, $99/year for Amazon (free two-day Prime shipping to boot) and $15/month for Netflix (which I hope to dump). Which comes out to less than $100/month for fast (1gigabit) internet and content out the wazoo between the few things I pay for and the free stuff I manage with my server programs.

My mom has DirectTV. She's had it for years and loves it. But for my needs, it has a lot of things we'd never watch included with the handful we would. So I'll keep what we have until I move away from here (planning 2-5 years down the road) and probably make do with less at that point. Or maybe look at DirectTV, Dish or cable once I move. Planning on either Alamagordo, NM area (my wife's idea, but she may change her mind once we visit later this year - I was stationed there) or someplace in Texas (not near Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Houston; someplace westward but not too far west), so that might make a difference when choosing what to get, too.

I've never found anybody who was really happy with Uverse. I never had it because I have this thing against the current AT&T (which used to be SBC Global, which used to be Southwestern Bell, which used to belong to the real AT&T). I've known several people (including the guy across the street) who have AT&T at their houses a whole lot trying to solve problems. I've known a few people who stayed with it because of price. I know one guy who went to Google fiber/TV and went back to Uverse because Google didn't have AMC at that time (a dumb reason in my opinion, but that was his business). I've never known anybody to go away from it and go back to it, though, except that one person. Because all of them learned just what they'd been missing as soon as they got anything else.

Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Sun May 07, 2017 11:24 am

Years ago in the 80's we had Super TV....anyone here have that one?
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Sun May 07, 2017 11:33 am

Never heard of it....
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Sun May 07, 2017 6:36 pm

Me either...

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:16 pm