New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Now I'm getting spammers through this site

sinister_midget
    Admin

Now I'm getting spammers through this site

Post  sinister_midget on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:15 pm

I got a private message this morning through the board from a guest. Supposedly somebody wrote an article about financial fraud and claimed they found one from me on this site dealing with it. They said they wanted me to contact them because I might be interested in what they found and they would love to hear anything I had further about it.

I started to write. It sounds like something I might have written about.

Then I decided to search. I don't know how accurate the searching on this board is because I only used it once before and found what I was after. That was something I knew was here. But in this case I didn't remember anything specific. Well, a search turned up nothing. Maybe I just didn't search right. But I didn't remember anything like that anyway so didn't keep trying.

Just for grins I tried several search patterns on 3 different search sites (googoo, duckduckgo and startpage). I didn't expect anything to come up immediately. But I figured if somebody that didn't know about this board found it, it can't be too deep.

I searched:

financial fraud
    financial crime
    fraudulent finances
    fraudulent financing
    criminal fraud
    criminal finance
    criminal financing

Each one on each search engine. Even adding "sinister_midget" in on several terms after the first try found nothing. 10 pages in on each search I stopped since, as I said, anybody finding a link to here without knowing about the existence of this board first wouldn't go that deep looking for it

I found 0 (zero) links to here.

I don't know if it's a phishing expedition or a means to gather email addresses. But I didn't respond because I don't believe it's for real.

Just a heads up if you want to avoid spam emails.

--  Thomas Sowell
    JJRobinson

Re: Now I'm getting spammers through this site

Post  JJRobinson on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:56 am

It's kinda weird....sounds like it could be bad news...How did they get to your private messenger on our site?
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:08 am

The board is open to outsiders. They can send us messages. But they have to identify themselves separately because they only show up as anonymous if they send something.

The one I got included an email address in the body that was put there manually (manually by a human, or automatically included by a bot for just this sort of situation).

I'm not worried that they contacted me that way. I'm just pointing out that they can and they could abuse it. One case isn't worrying. But if it starts to become a problem I'll close the board off to the outside. I left it open in the hopes we could draw a few more people.

In fact, a new person signed up a few days ago. Haven't heard anything from them, though, and been too busy to pursue it. But my hope is they stay, become at least semi-active and more follow.

--  Thomas Sowell
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:34 am

I think it was a phishing attempt to get an email address. There is so much going on to try and gather info on people I would NEVER answer a private email form, someone, I don't know, especially if I got it here. There's too much opportunity to be scammed in places like this, especially if they are open to anyone. Better to be careful than sorry.....
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:06 am

Sounds like "BULL" to my self!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:51 pm

Suspect Suspect

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:58 am