New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Blaming Trump for a loss in an election yet to come

sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:41 am

The Never Trumpers at National Review have reached the self-parody level as John Fund -- once a reliable election observer -- blamed Trump for losing a House seat -- two months before the election is held.

He has been wrong about Trump so long, I quit counting.

My favorite Fund Folly came five days after Trump announced he was running for president.

From Never Right Fund:

Is Trump a Double Agent for the Left?

After Donald Trump’s bizarre announcement last week that he was running for president, it occurred to me that many observers are misreading Trump. Many consider him a joke. Not true. Trump knows when he is being outrageous — and acts that way consciously to build his brand. Some consider him a menace, pointing out polls that show he would do well if he abandoned the GOP after the primaries and ran as an independent. But Trump is too smart to waste money on a futile effort to capture 270 electoral votes. He will conclude — like Michael Bloomberg, another billionaire — that American politics is a two-party duopoly. 

Fund ended his column:

Actually, I don’t believe Trump is a double agent acting in the interests of liberals to discredit conservatism. But (to borrow some phrasing from Trump’s conspiracy vocabulary), he is playing the useful idiot for the Left. He might as well be doing it on purpose.

Can anyone take Fund seriously after reading that?

Given how many times Fund tried to undermine President Trump, perhaps he is the Putin pawn/Soros spawn.

More likely he and most of his colleagues are useful idiots for the Left.

I mean, everyone makes a mistake now and then, but even the Cleveland Browns won a game last year. They called it the Christmas Miracle.

Pretty bad when the Browns have a better record than you.

Rather than draft some new ideas, Fund plods along with his silly Trump hate. Look how he is treating the special election to replace Dr. Tom Price, who represented Georgia's 6th District in Congress before joining Trump's Cabinet. The open primary is Tuesday among 12 candidates.

The Democrat raised a whopping $8.5 million, blowing it with the hope of somehow getting 50% plus one vote to avoid a June 20 primary. It is an old strategy for a minority party that occasionally works.

Fund already conceded the election -- just so he can blame Trump because that's what they do anymore at National Review: blame Trump.

From Fund:

Democrat Jon Ossoff, a 30-year-old documentary-film maker, would normally be cannon fodder for his party in the district. But his anti-Trump drumbeat (“Let’s Make Trump Furious”) has helped him raise an extraordinary $8.5 million. He will face eleven Republicans in Tuesday’s open primary, with most of them attacking one another rather than him. Should he win more than 50 percent, he automatically wins the seat. Otherwise, he goes into a June 20 runoff against the top Republican. That is likely to be either Karen Handel, a moderate who once served as Georgia’s secretary of state, or Bob Gray, a businessman backed by the free-market Club for Growth.

If the Republicans lose to Ossoff, or see him come close to a first-round victory, storm signals will go up. In the past, special-election losses have often signaled that incumbent presidents were a drag on their party. In 1993, Democrats barely held a Wisconsin seat in the first months of Bill Clinton’s presidency. The next year they lost ancestrally Democratic seats in Oklahoma and Kentucky, an indication that they were in danger of losing the House that November (which they did). In 2007 and 2008, Democrats won GOP seats in Illinois, Louisiana, and Mississippi, a clear sign of a demoralized Republican base in the second term of George W. Bush.

Baloney.

A real political observer would know special elections are harbingers of little.

Going into the 2010 general election, Democrats had gained a net total of two seats in special elections under Obama. On Election Day, Democrats suffered their most humiliating defeat in 46 years.

Maybe Republicans will lose the seat on Tuesday, and the House in 2018.

But usually we wait until the patient dies before we bury him.

Unless your name is John Fund and you have an insane hatred of the patient who is named President Trump.

A couple of times a month I see something from National Review that looks like it might be interesting (same for the Weekly Standard). But it's never enough to change my self-made filtering that ensures I won't be able to go to their site to read it. It's not worth the effort for something that looks promising that will probably turn out to be misleading and/or full of nonsense once I look at the whole article.

Missing Bill Buckley......

--  Thomas Sowell
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Re: Blaming Trump for a loss in an election yet to come

Post  sinister_midget on Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:47 am

Here's the take of the ultra-radical-leftist Salon on the same race:

Jon Ossoff is doomed: Democrats’ hopes in Georgia are fading, as a runoff election looms

The good news is that Jon Ossoff is succeeding in making the race for Georgia’s 6th Congressional District competitive. The bad news is that he’s probably not going to be going to the House of Representatives.

According to a newly released poll, the 30-year-old Democrat will likely fall short of the 50 percent vote share in Tuesday’s election he needs to win the race outright. While Ossoff leads the crowded field of mostly Republicans vying to replace Republican Tom Price, who vacated the seat in February to serve as Trump’s Health and Human Services secretary, he is currently only polling at 39 percent

“Ossoff is barely clearing a third of the remaining vote with much of the rest divided in a battle royal between four Republican hopefuls,”  Decision Desk HQ’s Brandon Finnigan wrote to introduce the newly released poll his outlet sponsored. According to the poll conducted by Red Racing Horses, Ossoff’s closest competitors, Republicans Karen Handel and Bob Gray, poll at 15 percent and 12 percent, respectively.

As one of the only congressional elections held in President Donald Trump first 100 days, the race to represent the district of former House speaker Newt Gingrich has attracted national attention. Ossoff, hopeful Democrats have dared to utter aloud, may become the district’s first Democratic representative in nearly four decades. But according to this rare public poll, voters in the traditionally Republican district may be waking up to the same realization in enough time to deny the resistance such a win.

BTW, National Review. How does it feel that somebody "on the same side" trusts an insane leftist website to be more honest than you are?

If I happened to find myself in your shoes, I think I'd wonder what I'm doing wrong and try to find the answer so I could correct it. I don't have any expectation that you'll do that, though.

--  Thomas Sowell

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:48 pm