New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

It's time for this to stop!

sinister_midget
    Admin

It's time for this to stop!

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:13 am

Parent's words accompanying the video...

Jennifer Williamson : We have been through hell this morning. They detained Aaron for well over an hour at DFW. (And deliberately kept us from our flight... we are now on an alternate) We were treated like dogs because I requested they attempt to screen him in other ways per TSA rules. He has SPD and I didn't want my child given a pat down like this. Let me make something else crystal clear. He set off NO alarms. He physically did not alarm at all during screening, he passed through the detector just fine. He is still several hours later saying "I don't know what I did. What did I do?" I am livid. Please, share... make this viral like the other children's videos with TSA... I wish I had taped the entire interchange because it was horrifying. We had two DFW police officers that were called and flanking him on each side. Somehow these power tripping TSA agents who are traumatizing children and doing whatever they feel like without any cause, need to be reined in.

Ladyelaine

Re: It's time for this to stop!

Post  Ladyelaine on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:36 pm

The article does not mention that the boy had a forbidden device, lap top or tablet, in his carry-on backpack, which is what led to this more personal search.

The mother was present for the entire event and I'm sure (from all appearances) the boy felt safe because she was there. At that point she is the one traumatized, not the boy. Her borderline hysteria of over protection of her child does nothing but add to any sensory problems he may (or may not) actually have. Perhaps she should be thankful that no other suspicious devices were found (pocket knife, lighter, etc.) which might call for a body cavity search.

She should have explained to him that anyone, not just him, carrying such a device in their carry on luggage would be subject to the same type of search for any other accompanying devices that a terrorist might use. It was done publicly, not behind a closed door with only one searcher involved. She could have asked him whether he would rather that a terrorist got on board their plane because he/she was not searched. Any teenager smart enough to use a computer knows about terrorism acts triggered by electronic devices. The very fact she is "sharing" her video worldwide, just adds to any trauma he may have actually experienced.

I do agree that such searches are invasions of one's privacy and better methods need to be found. Personally, I would not consent to anyone groping my private areas in the manner shown. The rest seems okay to me. I would not like being searched like that but if I had a choice, I'd rather just remove my clothing and say "look, just don't touch".
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:10 pm

I didn't see anything about a laptop or other device. I'll take your word for it.

However, the electronics "ban" isn't supposed to be effective inside the US. Only on inbound flights, only on certain airlines, and only from certain countries.

Here's the fake news Washington P%@t's take on it:

What you need to know about the airline electronics ban

The U.S. decision this week to ban laptops, tablets and other personal electronic devices aboard U.S.-bound flights from 10 airports in eight Muslim-majority countries has left travelers with a lot of questions.

We have put together the very basics of the new rules and, for folks worried about iPad withdrawal, some tips for surviving a transatlantic flight without your tablet or laptop. (Hello, 1990s!)

What exactly does the new travel policy require?

The new rules require that personal devices larger than a smartphone to be placed in checked baggage for U.S.-bound flights departing from 10 major airports in eight countries in the Middle East and North Africa. Cellphones and medical devices are not impacted by the U.S. ban.

What are the 10 airports covered by the ban?

Queen Alia International Airport (AMM) in Jordan, Cairo International Airport (CAI) in Egypt, Istanbul Ataturk Airport (IST) in Turkey, King Abdulaziz International Airport (JED) and King Khalid International Airport (RUH) in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait International Airport (KWI) in Kuwait, Mohammed V International Airport (CMN) in Morocco, Hamad International Airport (DOH) in Qatar, and Dubai International Airport (DXB) and Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH) in the United Arab Emirates.

Which airlines are affected?

Emirates, Etihad Airways, Qatar Airways, Kuwait Airways, Royal Jordanian, Saudi Arabian Airlines,  EgyptAir, Turkish Airlines and Royal Air Maroc.

I stopped there because the above contains sufficient information about the point.

The kid could not have a laptop, tablet, or any other device that would be considered taboo had he been flying in from certain countries on one of the airlines affected. He should not be pushed through a deeper search for such as that on an internal flight, one originating inside the US even if it's an international flight, or a flight not among the affected airlines.

As for her being there and all that,it sounds reasonable.

What my objection is about (in addition to them screening him because it was an electronic device and he wasn't in the categories above if that's the case) is that they still pick on too many whites, children and elderly people. If they screened mostly Muslims they'd be sued for profiling even though there are thousands of dead people in this country who died at the hands of Muslims, so it would be reasonable to see that as a good idea. If they screened mostly blacks it would be called racial profiling and the fake news outlets would be all over it, loudmouth politicians would have unending hearings to pontificate on how it's a travesty, and liberal judges would throw out most of the cases where real infractions occured because of no "reasonable" cause to screen them, But let it happen to an old white person or kid, let it happen to whites 80% of the time, and that's because they're trying to be "reasonable" and they're "responsible for ensuring security" of the skies.

Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:10 pm

TSA report states mother & son had 3 suspicious devices in their carry-on luggage which prompted further inspection. When the mother objected, two police officers were called in to witness the search.

In news over a month ago - a 65 year old lady was detained because she was wearing a panty-liner which showed up in the scanner as being between her skin & outer clothing. That prompted an immediate gloved hand search inside her bra and of her pubic area by a female inspector, and that was not done with the back of the hand.  Ladies beware: Arrive early, feminine hygiene products may delay your boarding a flight.

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:08 pm