New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

HP Deskjet 1512 Printer

Ladyelaine

HP Deskjet 1512 Printer

Post  Ladyelaine on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:16 pm

My printer has stopped printing out anything and message at first said "unable to print due to out of ink/toner", although it had been printing well. I always use genuine HP ink cartridges and since the black ink light was blinking I changed that cartridge. Then the message said "incompatible ink". I knew that was not so and when I tried again to print, a message said "out of toner". That printer does not use toner. I again tried to print and the message changed to "HP printer is in a state of error." I've tried unplugging, re-plugging, re-booting, but nothing has changed that "in an error state" message and it will not print.  I can copy documents on the glass but am unable to print anything off my computer. I tried HP support and their message was a technician will be available for advice after September 20th. I find that others have experienced a similar error message but did not find any resolution to it. It is out of warranty. Is there a fix for this somewhere or must I buy another printer?
    JJRobinson

Re: HP Deskjet 1512 Printer

Post  JJRobinson on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:13 pm

How old is your printer?
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:38 pm

I found this on an HP forum. If you haven't tried it, it's worth a shot:

1. While the printer is on, unplug the power cord from the printer, and its current electrical outlet.
    2. Hold down the power button on the printer for 30 seconds, while it is unplugged. This drains all the electricity out of the machine.
    3. Connect the one end of the power cord into the back of the printer.
    4. Connect the other end to a direct wall outlet (not a surge protector or power strip). This will ensure the machine can obtain more electricity, since lack of electricity can generate issues like this.
    5. Now, try to generate a copy.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, I would install the latest firmware on the printer. I have provided a document on how to update the printer: Getting the Latest Firmware and Product Updates

If the issue is still not resolved, try printing a test page from the printer itself and see if the same behavior occurs. 

The "forum help" person dropped out after that )back in 2014), so I suspect that's as far as your help will go.

If that doesn't work, I don't know the answer to the problem, but I suspect it means it's dead.

What good will a "tech" do on September 20? If you need a printer, you're not going to wait that long. If you can wait that long you're not going to want to hear some guy thanking you for waiting forever by reading from a scripted card that ends with "buy a new printer." It's most likely going to be pretty much what I quoted above anyway.

If you find you need another printer, I'd like to make a suggestion. Look around for a color laser model. It doesn't have to be too fancy. But even if you have to lay out a fair bit of money up front, it's cheaper in the long run and the printer quality is better.

I found a Dell 1320c about 8 years ago for $129. It still works great. I get off-brand toner for less than half of what it would cost from Dell or Fujitsu (the actual maker of the printer). If they even still sell it.

The thing about inkjets is the ink. The printers are cheap, but the ink is not. It also doesn't last as long as it should. Plus (most people don't know this) there's an expiration date on almost all inkjet cartridges (maybe 100% now). That means it will tell you it's empty even if it's the first time you ever used it if the date is passed. If you find a "bargain" the reason for the "bargain" may be that the expiration date is approaching. And if you bought several to save money they may mostly expire before you use them once. (One of the reasons they did this was to prevent people from refilling their own since the "expiration" is built into a chip in the cartridge. But it screwed other people in the process.)

To my knowledge they haven't done that with laser toner (yet, though HP may have started).

Mine is still going strong, though there's an odd problem with my wife's Mac. But that's most likely a driver since everything else that prints to it works as good as the day I got it. Toner (last time I bought it) was about $60 a cartridge (for the higher capacity ones), and there are 4 cartridges. But you never need to change them all at once, and each one lasts 6-8 times as long as any inkjet cartridge I ever used. So, at worst, that would equal about $10 for an inkjet cartridge. I don't recall any being that cheap since the 90s.

Plus the print output is sharper (even at my lower printer resolution than you can get on newer models) than inkjet, and it doesn't run like inkjet ink does if a drop of rain hits it.

You might not have the same gain that I did since you can't even get the model I use now and color lasers have become a bit more popular. But the biggest reasons for their popularity gains are lower cost to own and higher output quality.

Just a suggestion. Mull your own situation over before committing.
    manson

Post  manson on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:48 am

Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:21 am

Manson & SM - I had already tried all of those suggestions but none worked; however, I do now have it back in working order. I thank you both for your help.The following is how I managed to do it and hope it helps someone else if they experience a similar printing problem with W10.

I tried troubleshooting every problem I could find listed anywhere even though the trouble I was experiencing never listed them as possible problems. The very last one I found was for "Document stuck in Windows 10 Print Queue". That stuck print job in W10 cannot be cancelled or deleted and prevents further print jobs from printing.  Clicking Cancel on the job in queue, does nothing.

I turned off the printer using the power button, then unplugged power to the printer. That causes the printer to lose any current print job. Then using Windows services instructions I found the Print Spooler, right clicked on that and selected stop, browsed to Windows spool/printers where I was able to delete all the files in the printers folder, then shut down the computer, waited l minute then plugged the power cord to the printer back in, turned the printer on using the printer power button, turned on the computer and waited for Windows to open at which time the printer spit out copies of the documents I had previously tried to print while going through all that other troubleshooting. From then on the printer worked fine and I have experienced no further trouble. It was a relief since I had just inserted an expensive new HP XL print cartridge with a November 2017 expiration date and it didn't become wasted money. I always check the expiration date when purchasing HP ink.
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:03 pm

Thanks...I will remember that....by writing it down... Very Happy

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:25 pm