New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Current Setup

sinister_midget
    Admin

Current Setup

Post  sinister_midget on Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:41 am

This is a catchall section. There wasn't enough activity on the Linux and Mac sections of Tek Board that I thought it justified separating them here. But if anybody thinks that's needed, let me know and I'll consider putting them up.

It's also possible that I could add an Android or iPhone section if anybody thinks that would work. I use Android like crazy, but I know almost nothing about iPhone/IOS other than I'm not interested in it. But if somebody thinks it's needed, I can add it. I wouldn't want to add a forum section unless I think it's going to be reasonably active (defined as at minimum a few posts a year).
    Joencalif2

Re: Current Setup

Post  Joencalif2 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:17 am

Don't care about iphone, but I use my Samsung all the time....
    manson

Post  manson on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:29 am

Same as joe, no interest in iPhone. I also have samsung phone running android so any latest new reviews or general info on that would be helpful.
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:05 am

Everyone I know has either a Motorola or Samsung phone. 
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:44 am

I gotta LG...
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:49 am

The point seems to be that we all have Android. Which makes it easy.

--  Thomas Sowell
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:21 am

I'm thinking of going with two tin cans and a string in the middle for my next dumb phone.... affraid
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:41 am

For a regular home phone I bought a StraightTalk home phone doohickey for $100 and got it connected. It runs cellular (Verizon, I think), so I put it next to a window. Then I ran walkaround phone to the connection. Now I have a home phone that costs me $15 a month plus taxes (comes out to a little under $17). Which is quite a bit cheaper than wired phones (not even sure you can get that any more unless you already have it - I know you can't around here).

Before that I used Vonage and I'd switched around to a few others. They were all good. But they were also more expensive and they didn't work if the internet connection was missing. With what I have now as long as the battery is good in the device I have a phone. The walkround won't work without power. But I can hook a cheap wired phone up to it for emergencies and still have a working home phone.
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:51 am

The LG phone I got, well, I only talk on it...I don't know how to text, take pics, or get on the internet...I just talk on it.... Smile
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:31 pm

You could've gotten a flip phone or something for that.

Or did you want to do those things and just never learned how? If so I can maybe whip something up in the Android section for that eventually. If not I can let that slide and only put something there if the need arises later.

Me? I'm a tech-obsessive person. I have multiple phones, multiple tablets, hotspots all over, internet repeaters (to both repeat wifi signals and to give closer access to a whole different sub-network that eventually ties in the same place).

I have a Fire Stick, multiple ROKUs, a Chromecast.

I can send and receive texts over my phone from either my desktop, my tablet(s), or even the phone itself.

I wired my truck for wifi so I could move down the road connected (it's still wired, but it's not connected now - that was before I started using phones for hotspots). That included keeping a backup gel battery charged off of the engine to keep various devices installed inside the truck on all of the time.

I have a walkaround phone that serves only as a bluetooth connection to my cellphone when I'm at home. With that one it connects to the cellphone and I can leave the cell in a pocket or on the desk while I walk all over the house or in the yard talking on it. (I do that because I like the sound quality better than with the small cell speaker to my ear.) That's in addition to the walkaround phone used for the home phone, also connected cellular.

I have a watch to connect to my phone to give me notices. (Not like the Samsung Gear - I can't text or anything on it. But I can see who's calling and who sent a text. I couldn't take my phone out to look at it while I was working at Walmart, so the watch let me know if there was something important that I needed to go elsewhere to handle without ever having to interrupt work for simple stuff.)

I have an Intel COMPUTE Stick (just a little larger and longer that 2-3 thumb drives sitting next to each other). It came with Windows 10, which I backed up and replaced with linux. When I get motivated again it's going to become my Plex and Emby servers so I can get those off of my desktop machine. (Plex and Emby are personal media servers. I stream music, movies and TV stuff to my ROKUs, tablets and phones wherever I go in the world.)

All of that is in addition to the used phones that are for security in the house and the one that does multiple duties when I drive, including GPS, drive time recording, accident capturing, etc.

I use SimpliSafe, which is security via cell signal. ADT used to charge me about $60 a month for service. I bought this equipment, pay $40 a year for the police to monitor it and pay $15 a month to have the SimpliSafe service (C.O.P.S. is the name of the company) watching it. The system has been tested thoroughly, too. On purpose and also by accident, several times.

That's not to brag about anything. That's to point out my addiction to tech. Sometimes it's downright shameful.
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:04 pm

That's what I got...a flip phone... Very Happy
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Oh.

Texting on that is more work than it's worth anyway. I used to do it. But I sure didn't do it much because it wasn't worth the effort.
    JJRobinson

Post  JJRobinson on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:46 pm

I receive texts every once in a while, but I just call em back and tell em call don't text...and it costs me .20 a text... Evil or Very Mad

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 am