New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Think you have privacy?

sinister_midget
    Admin

Think you have privacy?

Post  sinister_midget on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:05 am

Woman Asks Alexa “Are You Connected to the CIA?” Alexa — Who Supposedly Can’t Lie — Refuses to Answer

So, this happened.

Following Wikileaks Vault 7 release alerting Americans to the fact that the CIA is using tons of exploits to turn all sorts of internet-connected smart devices into surveillance microphones, granting the intelligence agency access to millions of people’s private homes, people started asking questions.

Namely, this woman below asked her ever-listening Amazon Echo device if it is connected to the CIA.

Well, first she asks Alexa if Alexa would lie, then makes sure Alexa knows what the CIA is.

Twice she asks Alexa if she’s connected to the CIA… and twice Alexa refuses to answer. Must go against the “cannot tell a lie” protocol.

After this video went viral, Amazon sent Alexa an updated way to answer the question… which still doesn’t really answer the question.

Or does it?

Considering we know Bilderberg attendee Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos signed a $600 million contract with the CIA to provide its cloud hosting, Amazon is basically one Kevin Bacon degree of separation away from the CIA.

There’s a reason the Amazon Echo was offered up so cheaply last year… they want as many people to have them in their homes as possible.

Can you think why that might be?

Apparently the answer to the same question is slightly more honest when it comes from Google Home:

Psycho144

Re: Think you have privacy?

Post  Psycho144 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:55 am

I don't have one and have no use for one. A excuse for a lazy person not to move in my opinion Pfthttttt!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:37 am

The problem is that the spying doesn't just pertain to Alexa and Google Home. Any smartphone, wifi camera (used a lot for security), smart TV, even some baby monitors can be used like this.

A scare went on a few years back that the Chinese were building spying capability into the electronics they sell us. That claim said it even extended to home stereos, portable radios, TVs (including portables) and practically everything else made of electronics. Under the circumstances I have to wonder if that wasn't a cover story in case somebody found CIA snooping chips built into the gear and they needed a way to escape attention brought on themselves.

I set up my own security cameras around the house using old phones. I wonder how much footage the CIA has from them now.
    Joencalif2

Post  Joencalif2 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:20 pm

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Sad, I thought this was a free country, obviously I am mistaken....
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:29 am

Since this mentions baby monitors I'm wondering about cordless phones in the house. I have a 20 year old GE model that I use only to hook up my computer and the receiver is never taken off the base because the sound is not clear on it. I recall the info that came with it said something about cross interference with baby monitors or neighbor's phones or baby monitors. I have a corded phone in another room that I use for conversations and it has an answering machine as part of it.

Now, I just bought another cordless phone with a belt clip & headset capable to travel room to room with me. It is a Clarity D704 which operates on a different frequency than my 20 year old one. The new one is described on the packing box as interference free but the installation instructions that came with it state the base must not be plugged into the same circuit as major household appliances and must not be placed near other electronic devices such as computers or micro-wave ovens due to potential for interference. I find no mention of baby monitors. My question - which of these two different cordless frequencies have any bearing on the "snooping or spying" deal, or is this strictly an installed chips concern.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:24 pm

The thing is that it's built into the electronics and independent of frequency.

Your old phone is probably snoop-free. The new one might not be. I'd personally assume it isn't.

What can happen is if the CIA has managed to force the manufacturer to accomodate them, they can turn the mic on at any time. When you think it's hung up it might actually be listening and recording what it picks up.

I say the old one is probably free of snooping, but that's based on a guess. I remember hearing the Chinese thing about 10 years ago. But for all I know that could be when they decided they might need a cover story. It's possible they were already doing something like that decades before that. Or maybe that was a story concocted when they first started out and didn't know if they could get away with it. Or maybe they really meant it and that gave them the idea to try to do the same thing themselves.

The only thing I know for sure is they've been outed as doing it by Wikileaks. And Wikileaks promises there's a lot more to come about the CIA in particular, and probably even the NSA, FBI and others. But they didn't state clearly what or whom "more to come" involved.
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Thank you.

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:55 pm